Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts and Newborns - a No-No? >

Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

Old 04-25-2011, 04:52 AM

I have 4 sons that I used quilts and blankets on and the oldest on is almost 52, the next one almost 49, the next one almost 48 and the youngest is 41. How on earth did I ever raise all of them and not go by the rules that are out there today. Just don't understand it. fatcat
Old 04-25-2011, 05:02 AM

I wonder how I came into being from my ancesters of before the civil war?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:03 AM

there are so many new rules for babies now-hard to keep up, but there's always a "if it only saves one child" that makes a person think!
Old 04-25-2011, 05:09 AM

I think the KWIK SEW pattern company has a pattern for the sleep sacks.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:09 AM

I make baby quilts but suggest that they be used on the floor for tummy time & wait to use as a cover until they are toddlers, I think they are too heavy to put on a newborn.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:19 AM

What is the dealwith the bummperpads? I had not heard anything about it until Friday when I was pricing the Nu-foam forms. My DS and DIL asked me to make them for my soon to be DGS. The girl in Joanns said something about pads not being reccommended anymore?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:22 AM

Oh and when my siblings and I were little, my mom used these duck-bill clamps that you tied to the crib and clamped on the top of the blanket to keep us covered (yikes) and tied the pacifier to a string hung around our necks! (Double yikes) I guess we should be thankful that some things HAVE changed.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by gmaybee
I think the KWIK SEW pattern company has a pattern for the sleep sacks.
I will have to check out KWICK Sew... Thanks! I know my daughter and son in law will follow the rules when they finally have a baby (they're trying hard right now!) and so no quilts will be used.

However, our newest GD must sleep with something over her head or no one in the house sleeps :) She also sleeps in her swing because of acid reflux... poor little thing! She is 6 months old and her parents are much more relaxed with number 2!
Old 04-25-2011, 05:23 AM

Common sense doesn't seem all that common. The AAP says this:

http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/softbedding.htm

It makes sense to me to follow the recommendations of qualified doctors.

As for a wearable blanket slipping over one's head, try taking a t-shirt off without first removing your arms from the arm holes. Not so easy.

A lot of people have commented that they can't believe they survived, but consider this: There are some people who didn't. There might be more members of this quilt board today if they hadn't suffocated in their cribs or overheated due to unnecessary bedding in their cribs. It sounds dramatic, but it's also true. What parent really wants to take that risk? Remember, it's about keeping a baby safe who can't speak for him or herself; not about making sure he or she has cute stuff in the crib.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
sorry, I goofed. the pattern I found for a sleep sack is http://projectsbyjess.blogspot.com/2...leep-sack.html
I remember using these for my kids (now in their 20's) when they were newborns. Not as stylish as this, but it made changing a diaper easier than trying to get tiny legs out of a sleeper. There were patterns (McCall's etc.) then and I expect they are still available as the layette patterns.