Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to quilt in a travel trailer? >

How to quilt in a travel trailer?

How to quilt in a travel trailer?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:34 PM
RDM

Originally Posted by mshollysd
We are also looking at trailers to retire in, and one of the things we are looking at is my sewing. It is my therapy. We have looked at toy haulers which has an additional room in the back for toys, and it could hold my sewing room if needed. Still looking though, good question.
I saw in a magazine where a quilter had the "toy" area made into her sewing room-seemed to work well.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:38 PM
RDM

Have a friend in a 13' trailer, her bed base is also the table which hubby glued cutting mat to (has cover to protect when not in use), under seat storage holds stash & machine, plus he created a portable design wall for her. You can do it if you want to...
Old 04-25-2011, 03:55 AM

Some of those toy haulers have a huge room, but some have only about a 5 foot room. We are watching for one that I can even set up my FMQ machine with a large table so I can still quilt the quilts. I think I am dreaming but I am still looking for that perfect camper.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:14 AM

I don't think I could do it. LOL Of course I am almost 65 and most of the teenagers I see are not what they were when mine were teenagers.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:49 AM

This has been the best topic yet. I've had the best laughs over this and have received some good advice. My DH and I retire this year, have bought our T. Trailer and plan to see the U.S.A. He hunts and I quilt. I love this site.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:57 AM

Have you done a Grandmother's Flower Garden? You can pre-cut your fabric and put eveything in a $6.00 tote from Joanns with a handle. Portable - terribly time consuming!
Old 04-25-2011, 06:58 AM

We recently got a 1995 tag (travel trailer) to see if we liked that mode of travel, previously had a MH but with the cost of diesel, decided it was enough. Had to buy a new HD TV, so grabbed one from Best Buy (24" for about $200). Went to Alabama for the NASCAR race.
OK, to get down to packing quilt stuff ideas: I just unpacked/repacked the unit and drug the TV's box back in the house for disposal.
Hmm -- definitely sturdy, has a handle, about 6 x 26", fits on the bunks -- think I'll line it w/felt, cover the outside w/contact paper and fill it with whatever else strikes my fancy when we next hit the road. I do carry a regular iron and a travel ironing board anyway and I think this may work for the current projects (each wrapped in baggies and currently stuffed where I can't find them when I want!
Hope your trip is smooth -- best wishes from Michigan.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM

if you can put a couple of tops together, so all you have to do is the actual quiting......you could use a laphoop to quilt with. have them ready to quilt before you move.
OR keep out a couple of bags of scraps, that you could just cut up, for later use....decide which size squares you want to cut them, then place each different size in a bag or box, when completed.
OR save out a few pieces that could be made into lap quilts or baby quilt tops....and just cut & piece
Old 04-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

I think you need a "pull-behind" trailer to haul all your quilting supplies with you.
Get rid of the dishes...use disposable dinnerware!
Our motorhome has oodles and oodles of storage underneath. Just get rid of some of the "man stuff" and you'll see how much more storage you acquire!
Have a fun time...you'll be making great memories!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan
I know that there are people out there in this wonderful forum that live, or spend a majority of there time in traveling in a travel trailer, motor home, etc. I posted this question the other day to one of the ladies that was talking about her stash, then it dawned on me to just ask the entire board. Anyway, we are moving this summer from New Jersey back to Texas. To save money for gas we are planning on moving out of our home a month early and will probably live in our brand new 5th wheel for close to 3 months. We will have our 3 teenagers, 3 animals and myself and my husband. So how do you ladies do it? Where do you store your stuff? where do you sew? What do you take with you? I hate the thought that I am going to have all this time and nothing to sew. I know I could do hand stuff and will probably do some but that gets tiresome to me. I am also thinking of making some kits? Anyway you guys have such great ideas I can't wait to hear them. :)

install 6 big hooks on the outside of the trailer and put the kids and animals out there when you want to quilt.