Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Re-purposing >

Re-purposing

Re-purposing

Old 04-26-2011, 03:22 AM

I recently started using an old wooden knitting needle to closely guide my fabric under the presser foot. Similar to the wooden cocktail skewer I used to use, but this is smoother and stronger. I know there are tools made specifically for this purpose at the stores, but the knitting needle works great!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:30 AM

I use a couple of ladders and put planks across the steps to make shelves for my stash. I can easily see what I have. My DH made a cutting table out of saw horses and a 3'X6' board. It's the perfect height now - no bending over to cut. And, it gives me lots of room beneath for storage in totes.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:36 AM

I cut a warped mat and glued it to the top of a lazy susan.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:55 AM

There is an over-the-door hanger on the back of my sewingroom door. I hang my cutting mats using men's wooden trouser hangers. Just glue a strip of rubber bubble shelf liner to the inside of the wood.

Also, we laid the sliding doors from the closet flat and covered them with flannel design wall grid. We stapled it on starting at the center of each side folding under the edge of the fabric. Then we hot-glued nylon marine rope all around the perimeter. The door shave enough space between them to leave the items up when moving the doors.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-189274.jpe
Views:	189
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	189280  
Old 04-26-2011, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by pdcakm
my friend uses door stops under the rear of her machine. she really likes the tilt. says it is more comfortable on her shoulders.
I use pieces of wood under the back legs of my sewing table. The tilt helps the back from hurting so much.

I put bobbis in the little container strips come in with my strips for testing my sugar.

Kids scissors are the best thing to use when making your own templates out of cardboard or such because you do not care if they get damaged.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:59 AM

I like to use little tins that ALTOIDS chewing gum came in, ICE BREAKERS restore mints tins and any other small tins to keep my quilting pins and safety pins in. I have also taken other small tins and made them into needle keepers. I took a "Brighton" bracelet tin that had a "B" on it and lined it with a magnet to hold the needles. I gave it to my daughter because her name begins with "B". I found the tin at a charity sale where they sell all of their tins for usually 25 cents. I love to repurpose.

Thank you

Sandyb
Old 04-26-2011, 05:05 AM

is there a way to flatten a warped mat?
Old 04-26-2011, 05:07 AM

My sweet husband made my cutting table out of two of the base cabinets when he redid our kitchen. He put the cabinets back to back and bought a piece of laminate to put on the top. I have the five drawers and a door on each side of the cabinet to hold buttons or whatever else I have to store. He also put the wall cabinets up to store some of my stash.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:12 AM

I have a very small sewing room that was my daughter's bedroom. She switched rooms but her queen size box springs wouldn't fit upstairs and I didn't want to part with it since she may want it when she moves out later this year. I stood it on end and now it is my very large design wall. Works great. Also, I use those "noodles" for the pool that you can get from the $1 store to put large quilt squares on as I quilt and I also use them to take my ironed fabric to class so that it doesn't get wrinkled again. They are easy to cut to the size you want and the next time you go into a store that has those free umbrella bags grab one, they are perfect for transporting the noodles back and forth or just for protection
Old 04-26-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by pdcakm
my friend uses door stops under the rear of her machine. she really likes the tilt. says it is more comfortable on her shoulders.
Great idea!!! I think that it would bring the
object that is being sewn to a better position to
see it better.