Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
False Praise >

False Praise

False Praise

Old 04-26-2011, 04:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kathy
if i just HAVE to say something that might be taken as critisizm i do it by pm, that way NOBODY else hears me so it should not be embarrassing, if they tell me to take hike, nobody knows! and the board is still at peace
Good idea kathy
Old 04-26-2011, 04:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
I agree to a point, when I post something and ask for comments, I truely want honest opinions which includes constructive criticizm. Some advice I'll take, some I'll ignore - according to my desires and beliefs - but all constructive criticizm is appreciated even if not used.

A member (an experiencd quilter) posted several blocks the other day, the blocks had yet been joined together. She was looking for comments on the best layout. While she didn't specifically ask for constructive criticizm of the individual blocks *I* had noticed that some of the pieces in one block were flipped. Had it been my block I would have appreciated it being pointed out because that juncture it was easy to fix - so I did point it out to her, as did one or two other members. These things (brain fart mistakes) I think are appreciated when pointed out even if unsolicited. I would not however point out the same error on a quilt that was already quilted - why raise the dead?

When I see a pic of a first quilt or block by a new quilter, and their post starts with something like 'yippee - look what I did!' ... the block could be totally wonky but I wouldn't dare say a word. At that point of "oh my God I actually sewed a bunch of pieces together" - let them have that glory. I would prefer to see them retain that excitement and passion over the possibility of dashing it by saying it isn't right (which may make them think quilting is just too hard!). If they decide they love quilting they'll be seeing more quilts, the more they see the more they'll see the differences, and hopefully the more they will learn.
VERRRRRY TRUE!!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i think there is a huge difference between giving friendly constructive criticism and being a nit-picky- (holier than though) quilt police person.
i want to know when i could use some friendly advice that will improve my quilting skills- i do not want the 'police' to pick apart my project and act as if only 'their=way' is the right way.
i do believe there is a huge difference between the two= and i strive to not behave like one of the (power hungry-pickers)and always show support and constructive advice
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 04-26-2011, 04:43 AM

I was told once that I try to find the good in people when there really isn't any. That hurt me, but maybe I do find something good where other won't. I don't give praise unless I see something that I like. And I would rather look for something good than look for the negative. Remember the old adage...if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all. Why hurt someone's feelings. If they ask for help or advice then that's different.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
I think it is the same as any praise, I try to find something good to say about the color, the pattern, the size,etc. Sometimes it is difficult but I try.:):)
Ditto here. Even if all you can find is a color that you like all you have to say is something like this. "That is a lovely shade of yellow that you used." you do not have to lie but my grandma always said " If you cannot say something good about something do not say anything."
Old 04-26-2011, 04:45 AM

I try to do my best but still make mistakes. Try to find something nice to say or say nothing. I think we all try to do our best. Things happen.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:01 AM

Well Iwanted to comment on False Praise, but you guys(gals), stole all my thoughts :lol: Thanks, now what am i going to do,oh i suppose i could start another quilt :-)

Hey are you all retired, doesnt anybody have a job :lol: (oh wait a minute..... my excuse im laid off and looking for work,apparently not very hard at the moment) :thumbup:

Really, you all are very thoughtful, cool people, we should all go outfor coffee
Old 04-26-2011, 05:24 AM

I like to use this type of experience for teaching rather than critize. I ask how they did whatever the project is and then ask, if they found it difficult. If they had a problem then go on to tell them how I would maybe approached the project. Always trying to be positive and ecouraging. I view quilting as an art and they beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:27 AM

This is an awsome post with good responses.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:35 AM

I agree with hobo2000, if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything.