Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Re-purposing >

Re-purposing

Re-purposing

Old 04-26-2011, 05:38 AM

I use my empty "kleenex" boxes with the plastic on top. I keep one on my cutting table and one near my sewing machine. I put loose cut threads and/or fabric pieces inside. The plastic part on the box is great because if it gets tipped over nothing spills out.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:39 AM

I made my cat a bed and the poly fill gets flat after time and have to restuff it and instead of using poly fill I use all those plastic bags that I get from the store and use it as stuffing. I put a zipper in the side of the pillow and I change the bags every few months.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:44 AM
Banned

My husband gave me a new fish & tackle box for my thread and notions for our first Christmas. So thoughtful, don't you think?? We've been married for 25 years now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-189304.jpe
Views:	167
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	189310  
Old 04-26-2011, 05:57 AM

My girlfriend found a standing towel rack with straight "arms" coming out of a pole. She uses it for holding strips next to her machine as she sews. I want one of those!!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:01 AM

I am using an old dresser with my cutting table on top from Joann's. I use it as a cutting table and the drawers have my supplies in them as well as material. It has worked out well for me. I also use it as an ironing board on one side using the old pads from my mattress covers it fits nicely on one side for that. I also have 2 sewing machine tables together one with my new machine in it and the other is in the back for adding room to quilt when I am done sewing the blocks together. I do not have a lot of room so I have to improvise a lot. There are a lot of things a person can use to enhance their sewing rooms and work areas. It all depends on $ for me as I am retired and have a budget to work from. So save save save is my motto..
Old 04-26-2011, 06:04 AM

The first piece of furniture that my husband and I bought after we were married was a beautiful oak dining table we found at a yard sale. It has a leaf that folds up inside the table. This is the table that my children grew up at. It has so many memories. All the homework done at the table all the crafts and all the holiday dinners. Well this is now my cutting table. The leaf is out and my husband got me a piece of plexiglass to put over it to protect it. I bought one of those 36x70 cutting mats and it covers it perfectly. I have wooden bed risers under the feet to raise it to cutting height. My husband wanted to have a custom cutting table with cabinets below made for me, but I said NO. I am really attached to this table.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
We took an old lean-to that was used for wood storage and made my quilting shop out of it -- does that count??? :)

I use the wood skewers that are made to do kabobs for a stilleto.
I thought I was the only one that used the bamboo skewers for a stilleto. They work great sharp on one end and the other end blunt is good for pushing out corners in things.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by GlitzyMe
There is an over-the-door hanger on the back of my sewingroom door. I hang my cutting mats using men's wooden trouser hangers. Just glue a strip of rubber bubble shelf liner to the inside of the wood.

Also, we laid the sliding doors from the closet flat and covered them with flannel design wall grid. We stapled it on starting at the center of each side folding under the edge of the fabric. Then we hot-glued nylon marine rope all around the perimeter. The door shave enough space between them to leave the items up when moving the doors.
Brilliant Idea!
I took my sliders off and gave them away..Drat! i did fit in the space one of those wooden shelf cabinets..slid it in and works good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-189313.jpe
Views:	164
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	189319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-189314.jpe
Views:	172
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	189320  
Old 04-26-2011, 06:52 AM

Our dog ate Beneful at one time, and it comes in these small plastic containers. They are great for storing anything small! I have several filled with small scrapbooking supplies, but just pulled out another empty one that I'm going to use to store the cams for my ancient sewing machine. I'm constantly knocking them on the floor.

I love all the suggestions here. In a few weeks, I'm moving my craft room upstairs, totally reorganizing it and making this room a formal guest room. I'm looking forward to using some of the suggestions - especially the one about the design wall on sliding closet doors! Which makes me think of another thing I'm repurposing - the flannel back table pad for my dining table is currently being used as a design wall...ok, design table :) I need to figure out how to mount it without ruining it, since I still need to use it under table clothes.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by quiltnmom
The rubber mat for exercise equipment (The kind that has like puzzle piece edges) I put two pieces together on the 6 foot table I use to sew on and put my machines on less vibration and noise.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym...e-Mat/11089966
What a great idea
Also check out these in color

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Step2-Play...ndingMethod=rr