Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which is the best! >

Which is the best!

Which is the best!

Old 04-27-2011, 05:09 AM

I like my oldies (Singers dating from 1911-a treadle- to the 1970's) for straight stitching, But use my Janome 6500 for most other things. If you are going to FMQ, look for a machine with the needle up/down feature. I seem to prefer the older machines because I can handle routine maintenance on them. Many of the new units don't have instructions in the manuals to clean and lubricate them -- which means to have any warantee honored, you need to have them serviced by a technician. It sounds funny, but check the manual if this is important to you as a buyer/user.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:30 AM

i have 2 brothers one with embroidery one dos not love them
Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 AM

love my Janome........could someone suggest a printer for printing on fabric...I have an HP but color doesn't always come out true....
Old 04-27-2011, 08:53 AM

Everyone is going to have their own fave....it is just like buying a car. Some like Chevy, some like Ford.

I have had Bernina and Janome. I love my Janome and you certainly get more bang for your buck with them. The accessories are half the price of Bernina and you usually get a lot with them. If you can afford it, the 7700 is a sweeeeet machine!

That being said, you have to find the machine that works for you.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:55 AM

Have you tried using a laser printer rather than an ink jet? I have a Brother color laser that prints like a dream!

Originally Posted by CarolynFisJus
love my Janome........could someone suggest a printer for printing on fabric...I have an HP but color doesn't always come out true....
Old 04-27-2011, 05:47 PM

Check the fabric you are printing on. Some will only accept ink jet.
Originally Posted by Just Me...
Have you tried using a laser printer rather than an ink jet? I have a Brother color laser that prints like a dream!

Originally Posted by CarolynFisJus
Old 04-27-2011, 07:56 PM

I loved my Emb.Baby Loc so much I got the BL Quilters Choice. It puts the thread in the needle. Cuts the thread. Has needle down or up when you stop. It has a little table attachment for quilting. It does so many stitches and I love the 1/4" foot. You can move the needle to the left or right for a scant 1/4" etc. You can set it to back stitch at the end of a line of stitching.
Too many features to mention. Easy to understand instruction book, they also give you free lessons.
Get what you have service for in your area. I called Husq. shop to get a price range on the embroidery machines. Never returned my calls. Why do they spend so much $$ on ads. and then not respond to potential customers? My DH went out & bought me the emb. machine for Christmas that year. The people at the Baby Loc shop are so nice when I take the machine in for cleaning and the "well Baby" check up I got the quilting machine.
In 5 years it has never broken down on me.
Buying a sewing machine is a very big investment. I have never heard of anyone not liking the Baby Loc. Go & try different machines and see if you like the service before you buy.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Sandee
I had an old J.C Penney's that I liked just fine & still use & now I also have the 6500 Janome that I like a lot for some of the features like -larger throat space, up/down needle stop position,a button to push to cut the thread, & more designs-which I don't use as much as I thought I would.
I also have a Janome but a 6600p. I love the extra big throat for quilting.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:47 PM

thanks
Old 04-28-2011, 01:49 PM

I use the pretreated fabric from JoAnns in my ink jet....