Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 04-03-2011, 09:02 AM

Chris,
As a man living living in the Quilt world of women my self it has to be said you will find there are women that will be your best friend and there are others that will never be in your circle, you must realize that is a broblem of there own not your.
What i have found is the more sucess i have in the quilt world the more they come around.
my first book will be coming out in july i have there attention finally, now i hope to change minds.
Even though you feel alone be sure of yourself your skill and press forward and leave then in your dust.
There lose not yours.
All my best to your my friend just be the best you you can be. Brian
Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 PM

I wonder if there is some stereotying going on and the assumption that all male quilters must be gay. Even if that were true it would be an excuse for the treatment you have received. There are two men in my guild, both of whom are in long term marriages of the conventional kind.

I recall wanting to take a new car for a test drive. The first dealer handed me the keys and told me to take it out on the by-pass and try it at high speed. The other got in the car with me and directed me to a couple of turns and then right back to the dealership. The car never got up to drive gear. He then told me to bring my husband back if I was interested in the car. Guess which dealer got my business? One of my daughters had a boyfriend who knew far less about the internal combustion engine than she did but she discovered that if he was with her at the garage she was treated much more curteously than when she was alone. As you can see, this gender discrimination problem swings in both directions. When I was first admitted to the bar back in late 70s (at age 40)I was groped by a local lawyer on the court house elevator as I was going to my first hearing with a case file in my hand.

Good luck to you.

Jane
Old 04-27-2011, 05:09 PM

Jane,
Not sure what this all has to do with people being rude but It would be just fine to recieve a good grope. Bring it on.
People need to get real its really what this is all about, It has nothing to do with GAY, STRAIGHT, or any other thing of the sort.
Just people being Human to one another and not being rude.
Have a great day Jane i wish you well.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:15 PM

I notice you're from Indiana. Hello from a fellow Hoosier. There is a man in Southern Indiana named Phil Beaver, who makes the most fabulous art quilts, who also teaches and hosts classes. He's in his mid-60s and he's been making quilts for a number of years. You can Google him for his contact information. Just sayin.....
Old 04-27-2011, 05:17 PM

I know how you feel. I was the first female telephone installer in my home state! Ran wires, fixed phones, climed poles, the whole ball of wax. I was treated like I was in the wrong place when I knocked on a door and the customer expected a male. If I was training a male installer the customer or construction supervisor would direct all of their questions to the male I was training. I did the best I could to educate people that not all tecs are males, but I still had to work harder to be heard. Hang in there some people just are stuck in a time warp. I, for one am glad to have you as a quilter on our board.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:57 PM

Thanks so much.
To nice of you to share I have a lot a great quilt friend that are lady but it would be nice to see a man now and again.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:00 PM

If you are into Crazy quilting look for my retreat that will be in Sept. at Saint Mary of the wood colledge the web address
reterats.brianhaggard.com would like to meet you.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by eaglebeak1960
Hi guys, yes I am a male quilter, have any of you ever had this problem?? being a guy quilter in a woman dominated area has its draw backs. they kinda freaked out on me when I asked for help. I am a retired happily married man who just happens to love to quilt. SIGH then WHY do I get the feeling that when I go into a quilt shop unless I spend money there I am not wanted??? I asked for help (on a one on one basis) they could not be bothered to help I have been doing basic quilting for a number of years untill recently. Now I want to Improve my skills,

I even offered to have my wife sit in on the sessions. nope not intrested not for any price. SIGH I just want to quilt.

SOOOOOOOOO I am putting out a call here for any male quilters in my area that have advanced skill levels for help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No No No I am not putting women down.

Yours in Quilting
Chris
I have the opposite experience. When my DH of 20+years and I were first looking at houses, the realtors kept extolling the virtues of the basements and storage areas for him, where as I was the one who needed them for my wood working and stained glass studio and he needed office space for his computer.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:36 PM

We have men in our quilt guild and men at our monthly handquilting group. We all just help each other. I'm shocked at the way you were treated. I wished you lived here, you'd have a ball. Our quilt shop did just recently have an All Male Review, where the men, all so very talented, showed their quilts and talked about how they made them. I hope you can find a shop who will appreciate your eagerness to quilt.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:40 PM

I have fonund that i am so blessed with a quilt shop that has a wonderful group of lady even the owners they have been a great help getting me out into the groups of people. thanks to kind people like you. Thanks for all the Men brian