Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome FMQ tension >

Janome FMQ tension

Janome FMQ tension

Old 04-27-2011, 01:06 PM

Well, here goes. I have another quilt to FMQ. I have cleaned my machine.I have my blue dot bobbin case installed. I have the correct thread and needle. I have practiced on a square of identical fabrics as the quilt.I have basted and pinned.And i am following all the ideas from this thread on the forum. I will let you know later how I fared...or you may just remember that the screams in the galaxy that you hear tonight are from Gimli, Manitoba, Canada, and my frustration levels have reached the upper limit!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Somerset Val
Originally Posted by annesthreads
Originally Posted by Somerset Val
Originally Posted by nantucketsue
Interesting thread. I recently straight stitch quilted a baby quilt using my walking foot on the 4900QC but noticed many of the stitches were very uneven going from normal size to tiny. I thought maybe it was because I used a cotton flannel backing although the walking foot is supposed to eliminate this problem. There were no puckers on the back which I had hand basted,. I was considering whether to purchase the blue bobbin for FMQ, but I don't think I will bother. I also think Janome Customer Service in UK is very unhelpful. I love my machine for general sewing and piecing, but as a quilting machine it does not seem to live up to its name.
I'm sorry you are having such problems. All I can say is that I have found Janome Customer Service UK very helpful. I have the blue bobbin case which works perfectly. I also use a quilting machine needle which seems to make a big difference. I've read that either this or a top stitch needle are the best to use but not a universal needle.
Val - what's your tension set on when you're using the blue dot case?
I turn the pressure control down to 6 and have the tension 5-7, depending on what thread I'm using. I set the speed to half way which seems to eliminate thread breaks. It means you can put your pedal to the floor and still move the fabric at a good speed.
Why don't you ring Stockport? Ask to speak to Mrs Maureen Brown and tell her I (Valerie Cave) told you to ask for her! She's not in the office every day, now so she may have to ring you back at another time. She's fantastic - tell her I said so!
Thanks Val. I've spoken to Maureen in the past, and she's always taken the time to try to help - her suggestions were mainly about which threads to use.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by linken
Well, here goes. I have another quilt to FMQ. I have cleaned my machine.I have my blue dot bobbin case installed. I have the correct thread and needle. I have practiced on a square of identical fabrics as the quilt.I have basted and pinned.And i am following all the ideas from this thread on the forum. I will let you know later how I fared...or you may just remember that the screams in the galaxy that you hear tonight are from Gimli, Manitoba, Canada, and my frustration levels have reached the upper limit!!!
Do let us know how you get on - haven't heard any screams yet :-)
Old 04-27-2011, 01:39 PM

I do FMQ all the time on both my Janome 6260 and my Janome Horizon 7700 and have never used the "blue dot" bobbin case. I thought it was just for decorator threads that were too thick to feed through a normal bobbin??
Have the tension spring on the bobbin case checked - it may have gotten a thread caught in it and either plugged it or bent it to a point where there is no tension in it anymore no matter how much you tighten down the screw.
If it were me, I'd start with a complete new set of thread - same on top and bottom and loosen both top and bottom tension right off. Then slowly tighten the bottom until it holds the thread to the bottom but not to the point of eyelashes. Then tighten up the top until the stitch is balanced in the fabric. Make sure that when you're threading the top you have the pressor foot up so the tension discs are open, AND do the same when ever you change the top tension.
Good luck.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:37 PM

About one third done, with just a few burps! Will continue tomorrow..and update! Goodnight all...I'll probably be dreaming about it tonight!!! ;-)
Old 04-27-2011, 05:56 PM

I was thinking about getting a Janome 6500 or 6600 for a long while and joined the yahoo group. There seemed to be a lot of people with tension issues FMQ. I couldn't understand for the life of me why one brand of machine would recommend a different bobbin case to FMQ-everyone else's machines do fine without. At that point I decided to get Brother QC1000-great FMQ from day 1, no tension issues.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
I do FMQ all the time on both my Janome 6260 and my Janome Horizon 7700 and have never used the "blue dot" bobbin case. I thought it was just for decorator threads that were too thick to feed through a normal bobbin??
Have the tension spring on the bobbin case checked - it may have gotten a thread caught in it and either plugged it or bent it to a point where there is no tension in it anymore no matter how much you tighten down the screw.
If it were me, I'd start with a complete new set of thread - same on top and bottom and loosen both top and bottom tension right off. Then slowly tighten the bottom until it holds the thread to the bottom but not to the point of eyelashes. Then tighten up the top until the stitch is balanced in the fabric. Make sure that when you're threading the top you have the pressor foot up so the tension discs are open, AND do the same when ever you change the top tension.
Good luck.
What is the top tension u used with your 6260? I noticed that only a tension of 1 works for me when using the walking foot. I had highlighted my tension problems to my dealer when I brought my Janome for servicing last mth. When I FMQ at home, it puckers badly, irregardless of the tension I use and whether I'm using similar or different top and bobbin threads. As mentioned earlier, the dealer tried it using their darning foot and it works well! Even with an invisible thread at the top and cotton thread in bobbin, which is a disaster for me at home. She mentioned that the speed will affect the tension and suggested that I do not go too slow. When all else fails, she asked that I check that the darning foot is not faulty ie the bottom of the foot should be smooth and not uneven. I've not had a chance to try out my FMQ at home yet but will prolly try again this weekend.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:16 PM

Wow, I can't believe this topic is on. I was going to start one. I have a Janome 6600P. Don't have the blue dot and have been FMQ on it without much problem except when I try to mix thread types. It seems to be very sensitive that way. My new problem is I was making pocketbooks that you put batting on the back of the front fabric and FMQ it before putting it tog. Well without a bit of back on the batting it would not quilt for beans.When i went on my sample piece with 3 layers sandwiched it worked fine. Has anyone else had this problem.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:18 PM

Forgot to mention, I took a FMQ class and the teacher said she keeps her feeddogs up all the time. Haven't tried that yet though.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:26 PM

Janome I have the 6600 and have had the same problem. !. the machine must be free of lint etc so clean reg.
2 There is a little tension spring that the cotton come in contact with as it goes to the take up lever mine had slipped out once I put it back it was ok. Had the machine to dealer twice and they couldnt find the problem . Rang a man I dealt with 30 years ago and he sorted it out. Also try another cotton Machines are funny dont like some cottons My friend Janome wont sew with their cotton Carmen