Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Class Tools >

Sewing Class Tools

Sewing Class Tools

Old 04-27-2011, 12:50 PM

Why use a bag for tools when a tool box or a fishing tackle box is handier, in my opinion. The trays separate and rise up like little stairs and leave more space in the bottom of the tool box. I wouldn't go to class without my tool box. Mine is painted bright red, and my name is prominently painted on it. Label all tools and keep them coralled, if possible. Good scissors grow legs and walk away very quickly.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:05 PM

I started out bringing my travel iron to class; but never remembered to unplug it early, so had to hold it while driving home. Now it stays at home. lol
Old 04-27-2011, 01:47 PM

i'm going to the north carolina quilters symposium in june... i bought myself a tackle box @ dick's sporting goods for all my "stuff"

i have a small chest to the right of my machine with a cutting mat on top.. the top drawer has a silver ware tray w/a sliding addl tray on top...

i figure when it gets close to time to go, i will load all the crap from the tray to the tackle box & be ready to go...
Old 04-27-2011, 05:30 PM

Don't laugh ... The first thing on my list is 'CLEAN' sewing machine. The second is the power cord. The third is the foot control. I can't tell you how many folks have come to my classes without their foot control and/or power cord. Thread cap if you have a horizontal feed on your machine.

Thread, bobbins, bobbin CASE (if yours is removable), specific presser foot needed for class. New needle in machine plus an extra 'just in case'. Rotary cutter, mat, ruler.

Then I lift the specific needs for the class such as pattern, book, fabric, etc.

When I teach I bring colored sticky dots. Each person gets her/his own color and initials it. That way no one gets unplugged in the middle of their project especially when doing machine embroidery which could be disasterous for the person whose machine YOU just unplugged.

I make this in a list form so they can check it off before they come to class and then check it again when they leave class.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:48 PM

most classes I have been to tell you just what you will need to brig along ....... happy quilting
Old 04-27-2011, 07:12 PM

120" tape measure, seam gauge, disappearing marking pen, paper scissors, fine permanent marker, small calculator, cone thread holder(?) in case your thread is too large to fit on your machine, ironing mat and travel iron, curved safety pins, long quilting pins.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:21 PM

One thing both my husband and I adore are snips. When I went into Joann fabrics and described to a 20 something gal that I'd bought these thread snips that looked like a ball point pen about- x number of years prior she thankfully didn't laugh her head off over the time passed. Instead she suggested a pair of snips designed for jewelry making use. costing under 2 dollars. We must have bought more then 6 some we have given away. they are perfect fit to the hand and much safer then juggling scissors around your project hoping you don't cut the wrong thing. That and leather thimbles
Old 04-28-2011, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by IBQLTN
Don't laugh ... The first thing on my list is 'CLEAN' sewing machine. The second is the power cord. The third is the foot control. I can't tell you how many folks have come to my classes without their foot control and/or power cord. Thread cap if you have a horizontal feed on your machine.

Thread, bobbins, bobbin CASE (if yours is removable), specific presser foot needed for class. New needle in machine plus an extra 'just in case'. Rotary cutter, mat, ruler.

Then I lift the specific needs for the class such as pattern, book, fabric, etc.

When I teach I bring colored sticky dots. Each person gets her/his own color and initials it. That way no one gets unplugged in the middle of their project especially when doing machine embroidery which could be disasterous for the person whose machine YOU just unplugged.

I make this in a list form so they can check it off before they come to class and then check it again when they leave class.

Hope this helps.
Great list - love the idea of the colored dots!

I also like to have thinks listed in list form so that it's easy to check each item off.

I know that paragraph form may save space, but I hate things listed that way.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:08 AM

After I've been sewing for a while, the fabric starts to feel slippery under my fingers so I like to add a repurposed roll on deodorant bottle filled with glycerine. A little dab on the fingertips restores the natural tackiness.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:10 AM

I also like the little iron stick whatever it is called.