Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how weird would it be? >

how weird would it be?

how weird would it be?

Old 04-28-2011, 08:31 AM

My parents have my father's mother's (my Mammaw) sewing maching legs and foot pedal like that. They put a piece of marble that my mother's mother (my Granny) gave them on top of it to make it a table. To me that is the most beautiful table that I've seen. I really want that piece whenever they decide to let it go. When I go visit this May/June (in Tennessee) I will let them know that I want it -- whenever.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:34 AM

oops...didn't mean to post the same thing twice...my AOL is being quirky today... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Old 04-28-2011, 08:34 AM

yes buy it if it is still there!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:37 AM

Absolutely NOT weird! In fact, a number of years ago, I did just that, and it got nore comments than anything else in my house. We were in college, living on a shoestring, and a friend gave us her mother's old Singer treadle machine. Desperately needing furniture other than a machine, we made a glass top for it, and it soon became our favorite thing. When we moved back to Houston, I sold it for a nice price. The lady who bought it was so pleased with it, she wouldn't even let us help her get it into her car... guess she thought we might change our minds about selling it. :)
Old 04-28-2011, 08:46 AM
KLO

There has been an ad on our local craigslist that has a glass topped treadle base for sale. It looks like it would make a nice side table or, as someone else mentioned, a plant stand. If it is a fair price, go for it!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:47 AM
KLO

Just checked and the ad is still up:

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/fuo/2350600643.html
Old 04-28-2011, 09:25 AM

I remember my grandmother having a side table. It was quite old, at one point someone added cast iron singer leg section as you describe. I thought it was a sewing machine
Old 04-28-2011, 09:42 AM

I bought one and put a piece of plywood on top then tiled and trimmed it out. My TV is sitting on it in my living room. I really like it. My mother also has one with a tile top she did and she uses it for plants. I think they make really nice tables/stands.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by grammatjr
Yesterday, I drove past an antique store. Out front they had old Singer treadle legs. There is no machine or cabinet - just the bottom part with the foot pedal and the side legs.

Would it be weird to buy this and make a table or something from it? Or an old fashioned cabinet (that looks like a sewing machine cabinet) to hold supplies?

One set actually is only the sides legs, without the foot pedal or wheel. Would it be weird to buy these and make a desk of it?
People have purchased odder things.

Buy them and enjoy. I think the desk would be lovely.
I agree (of course, I'm the person that bought an old metal tractor seat and had it mointed on a post as a garden seat, and the top part of an antique vanity, with the mirror, and have it on the all above the sink in my half bath.) I love using things in unpredictable ways
Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 AM

Have to tell you that years ago my DH came home with just the side pieces and treadle bottom of the Singer treadle machine. I was skeptical.......