Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how weird would it be? >

how weird would it be?

how weird would it be?

Old 04-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Actually it is not so odd. Cabinets and machines are being piece mealed rather then restored if they can be. We deal in vintage machines as I know I've said probably many times before so we see these in every condition. The market for Treadles has been in the dumps and we personally have had to start turning them down due to lack of space. It breaks our hearts to do so but we have no choice. What is worse is we are hearing folks selling them off to scrap metal scavangers who totally destroy them.You can pick up a treadle in most any price range. Usually the issue is the person who thinks they can get more than 100.00 on up to several thousand- unless it's rare it's too much. There were huge numbers of them made and still a number available.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:37 PM

I have seen many tables made that way. Buy them you will love it.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:57 PM

Buy it, I love the Idea.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:04 PM

In this economy now, we all need to repurpose items. If we can make something that makes us happy and we save money in the mean time, then it is a good thing.

I think it is a great idea and it shows how creative you are. I would be so proud of myself, if I did something this neat. Have fun and take pictures to let us all know how it looks.

Carol from NC
Old 04-28-2011, 07:22 PM

Get then before they are gone !!!!
Can't wait to see the photos !!!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grammatjr
Yesterday, I drove past an antique store. Out front they had old Singer treadle legs. There is no machine or cabinet - just the bottom part with the foot pedal and the side legs.

Would it be weird to buy this and make a table or something from it? Or an old fashioned cabinet (that looks like a sewing machine cabinet) to hold supplies?

One set actually is only the sides legs, without the foot pedal or wheel. Would it be weird to buy these and make a desk of it?
That is actually what they sell them for. I have seen tables made from these, with any old ugly thing for the top, selling for upwards of $100, whereas in it's original treadle table form, with a sewing machine installed, it would go for less. Sad that people will pay more for the treadle legged tables than the original sewing cabinets and machines.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:37 PM

Good idea. :):):)
Old 04-28-2011, 08:27 PM

That is so not weird! It would be very cool. Good luck with your creation.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:14 PM

grammatjr, Hi, I had one of these Singer bases and my husband painted it bright red put a beautiful oak top on it. I used it for years for "STUFF" including an antique cash register peterparley
Old 04-29-2011, 06:15 AM

Just to let you know, those legs make great tables. One of my quilting group friends has one in the center of her kitchen. She found an old enamel top from a kitchen table. Her husband installed it on top of the sewing machine legs. It is so attractive and useful. She has a collection of red enamelware in her kitchen also. It just all ties together and looks so cozy. Don't pass that one up. You'll regret it forever.