Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome FMQ tension >

Janome FMQ tension

Janome FMQ tension

Old 04-28-2011, 09:38 PM

Hi My 6600 is just over 12 months too and I am not happy with Carmen
Old 04-28-2011, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by linken
Well...it'd done...I FMQ'd my queen size quilt, using the blue dot bobbin case, and all your advice as well, and I am happy to say "goodbye to eyelashes on the backside of the quilt. After all my frustration during the past year, I am so thankful and relieved...how many of you were waiting for the screams???? Thankyou. Thankyou.Thankyou for letting me vent about the problem, offering advice, and being so patient with all of us who have tension issues on our Janomes. As soon as i get the binding on, I will post a pic.:)
That's marvellous: gives me hope that I too can find a solution. Looking forward to seeing the picture of your quilt.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by linken
Well...it'd done...I FMQ'd my queen size quilt, using the blue dot bobbin case, and all your advice as well, and I am happy to say "goodbye to eyelashes on the backside of the quilt. After all my frustration during the past year, I am so thankful and relieved...how many of you were waiting for the screams???? Thankyou. Thankyou.Thankyou for letting me vent about the problem, offering advice, and being so patient with all of us who have tension issues on our Janomes. As soon as i get the binding on, I will post a pic.:)
I'm so glad you've found the solution. Janomes are superb machines. I think that all makes of machines have their own foibles. We just have to learn how to handle them!
Old 04-30-2011, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
OK, so I bought the blue dot bobbin case for my Janome 4800 because when doing FMQ, there were always loops on the back, except possibly if the tension was set on no.9. Now there are loops on the front except possibly if the tension is set on no.1.... :( Do Janome not know the concept of the happy medium..! I may have to take a screwdriver to the bobbin case tension, but before I do that, I'd be grateful for any comments or advice that anyone can offer. I should add that I really don't think these problems are my incompetence - or not just that, anyway - as I've produced perfectly adequate FMQ on other machines.
I was using a top stitch needle and Janome embroidery thread top and bottom.
I have my Janome3 set on 3 and it works fine. Do a test row with every stitch position until you find which is the best for you. Try out on a sandwiched block and see if that is alright too. Some times I found using 2 different threads will make my work out. So check that you have the same brand as well. Good Luck.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:03 PM

Mine was working great...now I am having proplems...I really think its the needles...I had no problems with the kenmore needles on the Jamone. I have recently bought many different sizes of the univesal needles...not the Kenmore. I have had nothing but problems FMQ'ing. Prior to these needle no issues. I am going to Sears tomorrow to buy some of their needles and give it another try. I loved doing FMQ'ng when it was working...
Old 04-30-2011, 04:05 PM

Why should this be so much trouble? We've paid a lot for our Janome machines -- they should be serving us well! It's so discouraging.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:22 PM

Aurgh...I just broke the needle plate hole...back to the dealer it goes...I am getting so discouraged...I think I may just pull out my old machine for a while...getting sick of computerized machines...I do love it but it has been giving me problems. I am sure some of the issues are my own making. But like I told my husband I did 3 quilts with no issues. Jamone should either offer classes or do classes on line. I am getting frustrasted...and its making me want to take a long break from quilting.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by lsmft
Why should this be so much trouble? We've paid a lot for our Janome machines -- they should be serving us well! It's so discouraging.
That's right - these are expensive machines and in some cases sold as quilting machines - they should do what they claim to do without so much hassle.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I am getting frustrasted...and its making me want to take a long break from quilting.
That's how I ended up feeling - so discouraged and I lost all confidence in my ability to do FMQ because of the problems with my machine. The day that I tried some different machines and my FMQ was fine with no sign of loops was a great one! So sad that enjoyment is spoiled by these issues - but you know it's NOT you, even if Janome say it is!
Old 05-01-2011, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
Mine was working great...now I am having proplems...I really think its the needles...I had no problems with the kenmore needles on the Jamone. I have recently bought many different sizes of the univesal needles...not the Kenmore. I have had nothing but problems FMQ'ing. Prior to these needle no issues. I am going to Sears tomorrow to buy some of their needles and give it another try. I loved doing FMQ'ng when it was working...
You shouldn't use Universal needles for FMQ - only Quilting or Top Stitch ones!