Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Travel Quilt" Put on your thinking caps >

"Travel Quilt" Put on your thinking caps

"Travel Quilt" Put on your thinking caps

Old 04-29-2011, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
You could applique the state bird of each state you touch.

You could applique the state flower of each state you touch.

You could applique the state flag of each state you touch.

You could make your own pattern with each block with the state
bird, flower and flag on each state you visit.

Or find a pattern in each state that stands for something historical there. This sounds like you will wind up with a real treasure that you and your DH will now and then point to one block and say "Do you remember when you and I went....?"
You could embroider the state flower or state bird of each state that you visit. I had a pattern of state birds that had come in my MARTHA STEWART LIVING magazine that I had embroidered a dish towel for my daughter using the Rhode Island Red Rooster because her and her husband have Rhode Island Red chickens. Enjoy your trip.

Thank you

Sandyb
Old 04-29-2011, 03:39 AM

You could gather pamplets , pictures etc, from places you visit. then transfer them to fabric via printer theres your center of a block also you could add a line thats a road with a car and route signs of each state you go into and out of add the dates under the blocks and its done. hope i explained it right can see it in my mine. Have a great time Deb
Old 04-29-2011, 04:00 AM

How about a T-shirt quilt. One for each state, or one for each of your favorite stops along the way. My neighbor made one for her husband and it is very special to him.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:04 AM

Next visit to Louisiana I plan to buy fabric at each of the quilt shops there and make a quilt called My Louisiana Purchase.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:15 AM

It might be fun to make Eleanor Burns "Trip Around the World" pattern (or one of her easy Quick Trip patterns) where you could incorporate fabrics collected from quilt shops. On the back of the quilt you could make a key, of sorts, where you identify where each fabric came from. Just use a pigma pen to write the info on the appropriate fabric and then strip piece each fabric pieces and sew the long strip into the backing.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:41 AM

I think it is a great idea. When I travel, I notice that different areas have their own distinctive colours as well as other landmarks. If you could manage to incorporate the different colours into your quilt, without it looking too disjointed, I think you could have a winner.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:34 AM
j

I like the idea of every state's flag or some kind of emblem and am putting that on my list. Since I travel in a MH, I have my sewing machine and I will be playing catch on old projects. When I get home I can put them together with the batting and backing. --- That is my plan. -- J>
Old 04-29-2011, 06:44 AM

When you buy your FQ, if at all possible, get fabric of that state--flower, landmarks, etc.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:47 AM

At most parks I have found preprinted quilt blocks that I have purchased. The latest being sets of older posters for the Grand Canyon.

I have also done the following: bought a pattern and then purchased fabric at each stop to make the quilt.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:48 AM

I visited quilt shops while we traveled and I found lots of fabrics that reminded me of the areas we visited. Also, if you do a google search, you can find lots of different state blocks online.