Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NEW QUILT Store >

NEW QUILT Store

NEW QUILT Store

Old 04-29-2011, 10:01 AM

I like friendly people who are there to help and know their bussiness. What I mean is the type of fabric and the color, also need to help person to fine what they are looking for.
At the check out counter be there not elsewhere this is your job and it requires your part in helping them getting out as soon as possible, as some do have jobs that they have to get to and cannot wait forever to get check out. Do not make a person stand there while you are chatting with your friends while they wait. this will get you no customers at all. By the way there an old saying and it is still here "the customers are always right!" Do not cut the fabric shorter then it is require as they will measure it they get home if they are short you get a reputation that you are not trust worthy then your bussiness will drop like a hot potatoe believe me. Fabric is exspensive we pay for your service remmeber this and you should be alright good luck and God blessing to you all.
Janet Preimesberger
[email protected]
Old 04-29-2011, 10:38 AM

Good lighting. Asian, reproductions, polka dots fabric. Affordable Classes.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:43 AM

I like to browse thru all the latest gadgets.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:56 AM

Some seating to just rest.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:59 AM

Friendly staff that does more than stand behind the counter.

Classes with teachers that are willing to help everyone no matter what type of machine you are using.

Fabric, fabric, fabric and samples of newest tools

Samples made and displayed

People friendly fabric displays-I am having problems because of a torn rotator cuff and one shop helps me get fabric out of tight, high places and the other doesn't, guess where I shop?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:00 AM

Just sell fabric, batting and notions that we need to quilt, i.e. needles, rotary cutters and blades.....no greeting cards, pottery, quilted placemates, mug rugs, etc. made in China or Japan.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:00 AM

helpful staff, a lot of variety of fabrics, patterns, tools, fat quarters--the shop should be eye candy wherever you look so you get inspired but be organized enough that you can find a specific fabric color or design or designer. Where in Texas? I'm in Austin.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:54 AM

The only quilt shop near me the girls are so helpful with helping choice of fabric. They don't bug you but if you need help they are there and very nice. They also have patterns for at least some of the projects. I think fair prices help you go a long way and of course it has to be reasonable enough to make a profit. The tables sound like a good idea. Mine also has an area where they have a very lg quilting machine. I'm not sure if there is just one person who uses it. I would imagine because it looks like an expensive machine. It's sometimes the little things you can offer your shoppers that really make you feel special and come back often. I have to go pretty soon and I'll look for some ideas for your friend and the very best of luck to her. Will she have a web site and a mail order shop? Sue
Old 04-29-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA
Ladies,
I have a dear friend that is praying about opening a quilt store in our town in texas. I am doing some leg work for her on her and we'd like to hear from YOU.

Please tell me what you MOST like about the quilt shops you shop.
What you DON"T LIKE at them
What you'd LOVE to see them have, do or carry
Anything else that you would like to suggest as a must have for a new shop owner.
What do you like in notions, or fabrics or patterns?
Just tell us what YOU would have in a quilt store if YOU could open your own.

Thanks, this should be fun to see everyones suggestions. I can't wait.
:)
ok you asked..... ;-)

A place to sit down....look I know it means taking out some floor space, but I have Fibromyalgia...and get super tired looking at fabrics....and having a chair to sit in to rest and think some would be so very wonderful.....

And I agree...NO QUILT POLICE...I drive an extra 20 miles out of my way because the local quilt store is too snotty and too opinionated....and hate every combination I pick out....the other store...warm, encouraging, helpful, funny, and very cheerful......

The attitude of your help can make all the difference!! :thumbup:
Old 04-29-2011, 01:05 PM

Prices of ll merchandise more prominently displayed. I dislike having to go through a rack of fabric or yarn, find what I want and it isn't marked. I usually walk out of the store without a purchase a never go back to it. And the store just lost a sale and a customer.