NEW QUILT Store >

NEW QUILT Store

NEW QUILT Store

Old 04-29-2011, 02:24 PM

Lots of fabric selection
very courteous sweet staff that treat you like family
Lots of different classes, maybe some classes that most don't have
Lots and lots of patterns
I have to agree about the hours, most people work till 5 and most shops close at five leaving not much time to visit shops for the working, Maybe instead of being open 8-5 maybe 10-7 to get the workers in there. Also the one thing i hate is when most classes are offered in the morning during the week during work hours, there have been many classes i wanted to take but couldn't because of time frame, so more evening classes would be better
Old 04-29-2011, 03:22 PM

I think a good quilt store should have at least 20 different books. They should include applique, bindings, a multi-purpose books on different quilt blocks, art quilts, books on using paintstiks, dyeing fabric among the many.

It should carry a variety of different needles and weights and colors of thread.

It should have several 'different' kinds of collections. I do not care for Amy Butler fabric, but there are a few stores who only carry that line. You need to be able to satisify all your cusotmers. Don't just buy what you like. I love Moda. I would say about 75% of what I own is Moda.

It should include patterns that cater to all different levels of skill. Beginner to Advanced quilter.

It should have the basic black (Kona is my choice) and as many whites, white on white and off whites are you have money and room for.

I love looking through the scrap bin. No scrap is too small. Package like colors together, sell for $$. (Also gives you a chance to move something that's been sitting too long.)

Notions: small very sharp pins. Used for applique, pinning bindings, etc. Markers that come out with water. Multiple colors (currently looking for one that can be seen on floral fabric). Fabric scissors; small and large. HST (Half Square Triangle) papers, batting (especially king size. Most quilts that I make are queen size. I always try to use the next size up and it's hard to find on hand.)

The store should have enough help that customer's don't have to wait over 10 minutes to check out. I've been in stores where the help is so busy chit chatting that I've put the items back and left. I love to spend money, but if I have to wait too long, I'll think twice. Then the sale is gone.

The owner needs to have interaction in the store and with the customers. You have to talk to them so you can keep up to date what the new fads are and what people want.

Beginner classes are helpful. It's fun to get with a bunch of quilters to quilt.

You need a website, blog and/or newsletter. This let's people know that your still there and what you have to offer. It's also important on your location. Parking is so important. I have a favorite LQS but the parking is downtown and so hard to find a spot to park.

I'm sure there's more I'll think of after I hit send, but these are my basics.

God will lead her.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:28 PM

I think we just recently went through a thread on this same subject and the suggestions were outstanding. I am not sure how to research and find it - maybe someone here can - but it was quite thorough and together with this should give an "ideal" picture to help. :-)

Marysewfun
Old 04-29-2011, 03:30 PM

Offer a wide variety of:
classes,
times the store is open and times of classes offered
level of classes for the newbie and seasoned quilter

Have:
a large work area
discount days
experienced workers
Old 04-29-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
Prices of ll merchandise more prominently displayed. I dislike having to go through a rack of fabric or yarn, find what I want and it isn't marked. I usually walk out of the store without a purchase a never go back to it. And the store just lost a sale and a customer.
Agreed! If I can't calculate in my head what I am spending before I reach the register or have to "ask" for prices, I am not going to bother buying it and be shocked at the check-out. I can think of no reason not to let you know right when you are examining the object.

Need warm, caring customer service, it is so important.

Marysewfun
Old 04-29-2011, 04:44 PM

Hi, I like it when the quile shop has lots of already made quilts on the walls. Makes mw want to make one or take a class.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:45 PM

My favorite quilt store has:

wonderful selection of batiks and kids novelties

a newsletter which lists her monthly sale- usually 20-25% off either fabric, everything xcept fabric or kits

shop hop- she has coffee and home made cookies

she remembers her customers and can give her opinion on fabric choices keeping the customers prefernces in mind, not just something she wants to "move" in her store.

She has a monthly day where people can come and work on their charity quilts. She serves them lunch.......
Old 04-29-2011, 04:51 PM

Hours to accomadate working women.
Variety of fabrics from traditional to contemporary and solids.
Classes of different levels.
Samples - Samples - Samples
Friendly staff.
Books and magazines and patterns - chair to browse books
Thread, bobbins, rulers, cutters, scissors, someone to sharpen scissors on a regular basis like every first Monday or whatever day works.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:55 PM

Knowledgable, courteous staff that really enjoy people and not just pretend so that they can have a job. Lots of samples with kits already made up in the same colorway. Also lots of kits for small gifty item that can be made up quickly.When buying fabric, purchase enough of a line ( a complete line is wonderful) so that a complete quilt can be made from that same line.

When possilbe listen to your customers. Stock what the majority of them like and not just your personal likes.

A shop does not have to be big. A small cozy shop with wonderful staff and great fabrics can be the most inviting place in the world for a lonely quilter.

Also don't forget the classes...everyone loves classes.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by scaroca
I like having quilts made up to give me ideas. What I don't like is my lqs follows you constantly. They act like everyone is coming in there to steal something. If you pick up something they take it and ask you to start a basket behind the counter. If you say you don't want to start a basket they stay with you until you pay. It is not a freindly shopping experience.
I have had that happened to me and I just asked to speak to the owner. Told her in a very polite way that I would not be back and why. Never went back.