William and Cate

Old 04-30-2011, 05:39 AM

AlwaysQuilting - my first husband was a police officer and many times had to wear his weapon in church. The only other option was to lock it in the car or his bike, neither of which was safe. He talked to our pastor about it, and was told that God understood. One of the pastors at our community sunrise services is an Officer as well, he is frequently in full uniform (he is a police chaplain, too.) I don't know that I would carry a random weapon in church, but as part of a uniform, I think that is a different matter.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I absolutely loved it from start to finish. When Wills and Harry walked in I got teary thinking of their beautiful mother. Harry does have mischief written all over him but during the ceremony while the priest was talking he looked pensive, almost sad. I thought maybe he was thinking of his Mum, who knows. I have always loved those boys!!
William and Kate were fabulous in every way!!
What a wonderful piece of history we all had the chance to watch!!!
I heard on the news that Beatrice and Eugenie were sending a message b/c their Mum,Sarah Ferguson wasn't invited. Maybe just gossip, like so much of what we hear. They're young girls, I thought it was funny :)
I want to thank all my British friends for answering questions I wanted to ask.
I have one more though- do you think Kate will be as pressured by the media as Diana was??? I sure hope not.
Please only answer this if you are British! lol
A joyous occasion that I won't forget :D:D
No. I do not think it will be as bad. Hoping they have learned their lesson.William and Kate are such a well suited couple and she has been brought up in a loving and secure family. Poor Diana did not have a very secure family life without her mother. I do not know or want to know the details of why her father got custody, but nanny's are no substitute for a mother, although I am sure her father did his best and was very loving.The other problem as far as Diana, is that she was chosen for, and not chosen by, Charles, because she had not"been around" to put it bluntly. Why he was not allowed to marry Camilla at the beginning was because she had probably had a few boyfriends before. So what! I think the monarchy has now woken to the 21st century thankully.
Saying all that Her Majesty is the most wonderful Monarch we could ever wish for, still "working" at 85, and Philip, well, I just love him, he is 90.
I think Charles gets a lot of flack, but we have to remember the way he was brought up, he was brought up to serve the country, even at 3 years of age there are pictures of him shaking hands with the Queen after she had returned from a visit overseas. Dians always wrapped her children in her arms when she had been parted from them.I think William and kate are a great asset to us. You only have to have seen the TV yesterday to know that we still have great affection for the Monarchy (well the majority of us) and I do not think the media will be "allowed" to persecute the lovely Kate
Old 04-30-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by matraina
I stayed up all night to watch it. I was afraid that, if I went to bed, I wouldn't want to get up that early. It was simply beautiful. Kate was so radiant. They just looked "in love". Hope their marriage turns out better than his parents'. I think that lady in the royal dress and hat that went straight up and down was one of Harry's old girlfriends.
No, her family are old friends of Charles, her name is Tara Palmer Tompkinson, and she is a good few years older than Harry.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
Originally Posted by sall
Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
It was really nice to have the Middleton's invite their butcher, postman, and pub owner. It is surprising that the Queen allowed it!. This new couple is NOT stuffy - they are the good part of the "modern" couple and its wonderful that they will be living in a 4 bedroom house away from all of the formal way. Maybe there might be a special program on all of those hats! Did you notice the lady in a bright blue dress with the matching hat straight up and down practically on her face?? Interesting. And the crowds were very contained - in the US we would probably have a little less decorum(?)
Just found out who it was in the straight up and down hat. It was Tara Palmer Tompkinson, whose family are friends of Prince Charles. She is a total nut case, always doing way out things. Only she would wear such a thing on her head.
I think your remarks re Tara Palmer Tompkinson are a little unkind!! She is a very talented classical pianist. She has had problems with drugs in her time but is certainly not a 'nut case'!!
I think we probably have different meaning of nut case. To me it is someone who enjoys really having a good time and living the high life. Sorry, but I did not even know that she has had a drug problem.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:29 AM

Do you think HYACINTH BUCKET was there???? hahah
What a laugh you gave me...
Old 04-30-2011, 06:31 AM

You could certainly see a lot of Diana in her son. Yes, it was a beautiful wedding. Seemed to go off like clockwork. Beautiful dress, beautiful woman, very handsome husband. Loved every minute of it. Have to admit it, I recorded it and watched it in the afternoon (when I should have been quilting).
Old 04-30-2011, 06:45 AM

I went to a local hotel, here in Uk where they were putting on a special event. Got there about 9.45 Local time and watched every minute of it, lunch was served at 1.pm, but we were still able to watch the replays. We had a wonderful time, singing along with the hymns, and cheering and clapping along with the crowds ( not that they could hear us)We all stood for the National Anthem and waved our Union Jacks. An amazing atmosphere, great food and free champagne to toast the lovely couple. My friends and I left about 3pm, and I went home and watched it all again until I went to bed. I even missed seeing my usual soaps, but I can always catch up on them
Old 04-30-2011, 07:14 AM

My granddaughter and I watched the wedding. I was amazed on close the timing was and proceeded on time! Something the USA lacks!
Old 04-30-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
This MAY be a stupid question, but what is everyone's last name?? Like William.............what? Harry.............what? Charles...............what?, etc, etc. Do they give up their last name when they become Royals??
William and Harry use the last name Wales. Royalty probably doesn't need last names though.
Sorry to contradict you, Only Charles is a Prince of Wales, this title is given in a ceremony to the next heir to the throne. The royal family adopted Windsor as their family name at the beginning of WWI because of some of their ancestors being from the Saxe-Cobourg the German royal family. Philip, the Queen husband adopted the name Mountbatten because he was raised by the Duke of Mountbatten an admiral of the Royal Navy. The children use the name Windsor but also can use Mountbatten-Windsor if they wish.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:54 AM

Just curious, how do those ladies hats stay on their heads??