Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery Machines >

Embroidery Machines

Embroidery Machines

Old 04-30-2011, 02:07 PM

Try out the many different embroidery machines and make sure whereever you buy it, you can get lessons. JeanK is right, this is expensive and there are many "extras" to purchase. I have a Viking Designer Topaz 20 and I still need help in doing any embroidery,. Closest store is 2 hrs away for any training and then you can't keep her attention for more than 5 min.

I do believe that Janome makes an embroidery machine that is easy to learn, much cheaper to buy, but as I say, go and test drive many different ones.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:28 PM

I also got the Babylock Sophia 2 for Christmas and absolutely love it.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:31 PM

This is beautiful.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:59 PM

I have the brother innovis 2500. I have had it for 5 yrs know and love love love it!. Whichever one you get check out embroidery library for designs. Sign up for their email and every month you get 2 new designs plus they have weekly specials.Good luck
Old 04-30-2011, 03:14 PM

I have a huquvarna viking designer SE and LOVE it. It has been replaced with the diamond.

My friend just bought the diamond, but it is $10,000 and is AWESOME!
Their less expensive emb machines are really nice, too.

I also like the 5D emb software program. Anything you design, or scan in to your computer as a pdf file, you can stitch out.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:21 PM

As I ask this question I am hoping I don't offend anyone. How old are you and do you have children? If you are under 40 it is a no brainier. I would buy the diamond by Viking for several reasons. The feet are cheaper and the extras are cheaper. It is easier to download designs. But with all this said which dealer is the one closer to you and you trust? Dealers are important in the selection as they will help trouble shoot. And if you are younger than me (60 +) you will get the benefit of a more advanced machine. Do not even look at the Ruby it has many problems.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by JJC
Originally Posted by PamB8s
My husband asked me what I wanted for my 10th wedding anniversary and I have been thinking about an embroidery machine. I don't want to do anything professionally. Just home embroidery, gifts, enhancing quilts. etc. Tell me in your opinion whats a great one to have. Thanks so much, Have a blessed day.
How about the Bernina 830. Oh how I would love to have one of those machines.
I have a Bernina Artista 180 upgraded to 185 and love it. I do a lot of embroidery with that machine. I know it is not the newest now but I like it.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:30 PM

My Mother purchased one Brothers sewing/embroidery machine and then they came out with the Brothers Quatro and she turned around 6 months later and bought the Quatro. It has a larger hoop size, used USB, and she has found that the Bernina software for embroidery patterns are so much better than the Brothers for the Brothers' machines. It uses "ART" format for making changes and "PES" for the machine's USB port. She is making quilts with Sunbonnet Sues, needle holders, flashdrive cases, towel, etc. and it's a great machine.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:59 PM

If you buy a used machine from an individual, it would be to your advantage to find a dealer who would give you lessons even if you have to pay for them. You will learn much more that way rather than trying to figure out for yourself the many features of the machine. Dealers also have used machines that can be very good & they may give you free lessons. That's the way I'd go if I didn't want to pay the increasingly high price for a new machine.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:15 PM

I have the Brother ULT 2001 and love it. Bought it in 2001 and still runs like a top. Never had a minutes trouble with it. I have mostly made quilt tops on it...just regular sewing. It has 4 different hoop sizes, the colored screen, can be edited, a lot of built in designs and a lot of cards came with it. A floppy disc can also be used in it as well as the expensive embroidery cards that you buy. I have enjoyed mine....don't do as much on it as I used to...got to involved with quilting (another money pit :)) As someone said, it is not an inexpensive hobby. But, I have always bought the threads and stabilizers with coupons and sales. Bought a few things at a time until I had a really good selection. Good luck.