Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-30-2011, 01:33 PM

Just got word that McKenna is closing down her "Grandmother's" and "Necchilady" sites today due to dealing with nastiness from ill-mannered folk. If you look quick, you can see my "new" Howe A, currently residing in my LR:

http://www.grandmotherssewingmachine...treadle_2.html
Old 04-30-2011, 02:54 PM

I will send better "before" pictures when it gets here, too.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Just got word that McKenna is closing down her "Grandmother's" and "Necchilady" sites today due to dealing with nastiness from ill-mannered folk. If you look quick, you can see my "new" Howe A, currently residing in my LR:

http://www.grandmotherssewingmachine...treadle_2.html
That is too bad. I guess I should print all the pages as a referance before it is too late.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Most of those double needle looking hems were put in with a Serger using the chain stitch, which is what finishes sweatshirts, T shirts, and yes slacks hems. I'd bet that is the way the hem was done -- it is a one step process, very fast and clean -- not with a double needle. Unless, the commercial machines do the same thing? I know nothing about commercial machines, but if you had a Serger you could finish those hems with a very professional look.

Nancy
The stitch you're refering to is a cover stitch and its a separate machine, that's all it does. To do it with a serger,
you need one that also has a cover stitch option, just a normal serger doesn't do a cover stitch. I used to sell Viking and Singer sergers and machines. You learn a lot that way.
Sharon W. :-D
Old 04-30-2011, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
quilter2theend asked me to post a photo of my ruffler attachment, attached to the machine. Here you go, quilter2theend:
That is a very interesting foot, I wonder if I have one in my box of back clamping attachments for my Red Eye? hmmmm
Sharon W.
Ps. I'm very glad that everyone is accounted for, I can't imagine
all those storms and tornadoes. My DH said that our house got skipped by a tornado when he was a boy, destroyed the houses on both sides.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I was able to set up my Singer 328k in the treadle today. It works! Here are some photos of him in treadle, how the treadle belt is threaded through the machine, and some of the decorative stitches that I made while treadling him. The electric cord on side isn't being used; it is just sitting off to the side of treadle.
That is totally cool!!! It should be so much fun using it that way!! And if there's a power outage, you can sew by candlelight!! Very cool!! Maybe I'll think about putting my Western Electric 1917 on treadle. But then again, it was one of the very first electric machines, so, maybe I should leave it. Decisions, decisions!! :-)
To be able to treadle an electric machine, it needs to have a deep belt groove in the hand wheel or it won't work.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Anyone heard from Purplefiend, Sharon? She lives in the Texas area that was having all the bad fires. I hope all is well for her too.
I am fine, we're not near any of the brush fires thankfully!
Sharon W.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:12 PM

Hi , that's a great machine! I have a black 319 and totally love it! Sews beautifully and the decorative stitch possibilities are great. Just remember it takes a special needle. i ordered mine from Jenny at sew-classic.com.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I thought I saw where Purplefiend posted on a thread a few days ago but I am not sure now. I hope all is well for our members down there. Didnt the Governor declare the entire state a disaster area?

Billy
Well sorta of a disaster area, the entire state is very thirsty. We've had very little rain since October.
It looks like it may rain and then all the storms pass us by. We have huge cracks in the ground, soon we'll be on water restrictions.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by Lostn51
I thought I saw where Purplefiend posted on a thread a few days ago but I am not sure now. I hope all is well for our members down there. Didnt the Governor declare the entire state a disaster area?

Billy
Well sorta of a disaster area, the entire state is very thirsty. We've had very little rain since October.
It looks like it may rain and then all the storms pass us by. We have huge cracks in the ground, soon we'll be on water restrictions.
I am glad that all is well in Round Rock today! We were worried about you, and if I could send some of these storms to you I would!

Billy