Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Whats the largest king quilt >

Whats the largest king quilt

Whats the largest king quilt

Old 04-30-2011, 07:27 PM

I'm just finishing a queen size quilt for my grandaughter's wedding that will go to the floor so she won't have to buy a dust ruffle. I quilt in sections. This one was 16 sections and I added a generous border to the outer sections before I quilt them. I also use a busy print that coordinates with the top because a print hides all the seams.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:42 AM

The largest king quilt I have ever quilted on the machine was 120" X 120" BUT I did it in three sections of 40" wide each. Even then
it hurt my neck and back. I have a Brother Innovis 2500 quilting/embroidery machine which works beautifully but that quilt
about killed me. Since then, I usually only do baby quilts (or the occasional lap) on my machine. Everything else goes to my long arm quilter. I prefer my quilts to be soft and light ( don't like excessive quilting that makes them heavy and dense.) Since she uses Asian pantograph designs, it's expensive but worth it for the look achieved.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:11 AM

I have done a 120 by120 fmq on my Pfaff . It has a 10 inch throat. I had no problems.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:29 PM

Was making one which would have been 130 x 140.
I was just mad cutting and sewing. When I brought it to a friend for show and tell... I couldn't believe how big it was already and hadn't even added the borders.
I took it apart, re-pieced it and now have two quilt tops... that are still a good size.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign
Originally Posted by MZStitch
Whats the largest king size quilt that you have machine quilted using your regular sewing machine.
I'm making a king storm at sea, and right now it is 105x105. If I add an additional pieced border it will be 114x114. I really want to add this border, because I'm thinking after machine quilting if I leave it at 105 the stitching will make it shrink up too much.
I am only stitching in the ditch with my running foot on this one, because Its too large to free motion quilt. Was wondering if anyone has tackled this here?
Iam working on one with 14" squares right now that I need to have come in at about 114. Here is what I plan to do. THere are 6 squares across and down, which gets me up to 84, I plan to add an inner border of 4 to 5 inches, uncut yet, and the outer border, of 10 1/4" squares turned on point, all also done. I plan to piece the back in 3 pieces and quilt as you go 3 sets of 28, plus 2" on the center cut, and 2 cuts of 28" plus 2 inches, plus the width of the inner border, I am fighring out the lengths of the cuts at 84 plus, 10, plus 2. I will add the final border onto this quilted top, after it is quilted. This way I can handle 28 to 30 inch strips and not be limited by the type of quilting I plan to do. I figure this uses a little more back fabric, but the scraps will go into another scrappy quilt. I can't quilt on large projects due to some disc issues in my neck, but QAYG works for me if I take the time to figure it all out ahead of time. :-D
I am going to do QAYG with my Baltimore Bliss quilt as the blocks are16 inches plus sashing and borders. I don't know how big it will be but bigger than 84 inches. I think that is the easiest way to do it even if it takes a little longer.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by MZStitch
Thank you, I'm going ahead and adding the borders! Just needed someone to agree it was possible! Yes, I realize I'll need some patience!
Are you planning to use spray adhessive for the quilting process? Or are you basting and pinning it? I would think that the pins would add to the bulk even moreso. Just wondering because I have a king size that needs quilting and it's nearly 120x120 and wondered if I could tackle quilting it myself on my Jamone MC6600. I know that if I try to do this I would definately use the spray adhessive.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:50 AM

That's exactly why I bought a Long ARM. Lol
Old 05-03-2011, 02:15 AM

Sounds like it can be done!