Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First attempt at thread painting...self taught...opinions please >

First attempt at thread painting...self taught...opinions please

First attempt at thread painting...self taught...opinions please

Old 05-01-2011, 08:52 AM

I'm just learning also, and I'm learning that I need to add deminsion by changing colors of thread, or using a fabric for the applique that gives a bit of deminsion. My thread needs to follow the base design of my eagle (see my other posts with pics) more, and have more thread used. Mine looks more like quilting than painting.

I love the thread you used on your dove...can you tell us which brand/color/type it is?

When I do the larger eagle, I'm going to try to curve my painting, using smallish lines, more like the actual feathers would look. Would not be great for a smaller bird, like your dove (the last doves I did..I ended up just outlining...it was a baby quilt). I'm going to try a practice piece...will post when I get it done...for my eagle.

Please post the finished quilt & give us details...would love to see it.

Originally Posted by cmagee84
Okay ladies, this is my first attempt at thread painting. I watched videos on you tube for days. Planned it out in my head, practiced, practiced, and practiced.

So,it is not finished yet. Still have the beak, eyes and feet to do, plus the title. The author is a dear friend of mine and I am making this as a Surprise!!! :)

Any constructive critics would be welcome!!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:53 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

wow ! I don't know about this .. your work looks beautiful !
I love this board. I learn something new everyday !
thanks for sharing !!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:54 AM

Uh...if you look at the photo of the back of my Blaze of Glory quilt sample...you will see areas that I missed in the quilting...was not about to put it back on the machine... lol.. I just left it, as it's not really visible on the front. Learning experience...or Tution, as my Sis in law calls it.
I'm paying a lot of tuition these days...
tution= mistakes, make one and learn from it...lol

Originally Posted by margecam52
Very nice! I'm going to check to see if there is a pic of the finished dove!...what thread did you use?

I have tried this with an eagle quilt I did...I ended pulling all the stitching out of his head because his head was go close in color to the background, and my background quilting was so similar..the head got lost.

It's my "practice" for a larger eagle quilt...so I chose whatever fabric was close at hand.

I used silver metallic thread on the front & 60 wt poly bobbin thread on the back, both from:
http://www.threadart.com
Size 18 Groz-Beckert needle

I was going to really fill the wings with thread, but, since this is the "sample", I decided to just scribble a bit...making sure the tensions and threads didn't cause me problems on the TL18LS.

The pattern is one I got at a retreat & is supposed to be done in rusts, orange, golds & reds (hence, BLAZE of Glory).. and I bought the fabrics in the correct colors...(the eagle is using the actual fabrics)...but I am a bit frugal, and paide $8.00 a yard (expensive for me) & didn't want to waste it on a sample. I bought enough of the fabric for the eagle to do 5 or 6...so, that was ok...but the fabric for the quilt...only bought enough for one in a king size (bit to spare)...and since the quilt is 48" square...I need to be able to add to the quilt to make it the size I want....and the retreat was 2 years ago...know finding more of a fabric that old is not going to be easy.

I know I need to try to get the "movement" of the feathers better...and it should be easier when I do the larger eagle (yep, enlarging every part of the quilt, instead of just adding rows).

I have been watching videos by Sharon Schamber, Linda V Taylor and others...and taking bits and pieces from them all.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:04 AM

How beautiful! You are doing a beautiful job on this.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:05 AM

good ,really good. You have done a great job. love JoAnn :lol: :)
Old 05-01-2011, 09:05 AM

good ,really good. You have done a great job. love JoAnn :lol: :) :thumbup:
Old 05-01-2011, 09:47 AM

Very pretty, very well done actually. You should be pleased with yourself!
Old 05-01-2011, 10:10 AM

If I would have done that, I would be so proud! It's quite lovely (perhaps ethereal would be a better word).
Old 05-01-2011, 10:11 AM

I think you did a great job!
Old 05-01-2011, 10:17 AM

Thanks everyone, for the kudos!

I'm still learning to use different techniques. I love the eagle quilt...just need to get organized, so I don't feel so frazzled in the quilting area...need my two bedrooms back also..lol..kinda spread out during colder weather...now to get it all back to this one area.

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
I think you did a great job!