Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do the binding by hand? >

Why do the binding by hand?

Why do the binding by hand?

Old 05-02-2011, 03:59 AM

I like the look of handstitching the back, and I don't mind the handstiching. Even local quild shows, must be hand stiched binding, one never knows if it will be entered.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:12 AM

My Mom has been quilting for many years. She is a self taught using many books she has gotten over the years. Her problem is she has very bad arthritis in her hands, etc... and hand sewing is VERY difficult for her now. :( The ideas of how to make a neat sewn binding will be very useful to her including the gluing idea. :-D Thank you...
Old 05-02-2011, 04:18 AM

I think stitching the binding by hand look neater on both sides of the quilt.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:21 AM

What kind of glue do you use--something like Elmers that washes out or a special basting glue from a fabric store?? (I love this idea for me and especially my arthitic quilting Mom

Originally Posted by oatw13
I sew mine on by machine. I just don't have the patience for hand-sewing. I don't enjoy it at all.

I sew my binding to the front and flip it to the back. I use the glue basting method to hold it down then stitch in the ditch on the front.

Works for me! :)
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Old 05-02-2011, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
I can't understand why it is so important to flip the binding to the back side and sew by hand with the blind stitch? Suzanne
I am not real adept in using my machine to bind both sides of the quilt....one day I hope to jump in and bind by machine. However, I really like to do that last part by hand...it's soothing and my stitches are invisible (from practice - lots of it, lol).
Old 05-02-2011, 04:24 AM

Here's what I do.....I sew the binding on the back, flip it over to the front, press it, stitch in the ditch. I have a long 5 inch needle that I use like a stiletto--I set the needle down on top where I want the seam line and then I peek under and make sure the point of my stiletto needle is on the bottom seam line, sew and aim for the stiletto. When you look at the back side you see a thick line, but you can't hardly tell it's two seams unless I have a drink or two. lol
Syl
Old 05-02-2011, 04:33 AM

I do it both ways, I never was able to get my finish to look good, when I tried SID from the front, sometimes I would catch alot of binding on the back, sometimes I would miss it completely. The last one I did, I used Elmers School glue (in a litttle tube). Glued the binding down in the back where it was just covering the stitch line from attaching the binding in the front. I glued my mitered corners just where I wanted them then SID from the front. The back sides and corners looked really good and even amounts of the binding were caught in the stitching. I will continue finishing my bindings both ways.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

i do mine the (old fashioned) way- by hand---
i have tried a couple machine bindings- was very unhappy with the outcome- really felt after all the work to make a beautiful quilt i then (got lazy) and ruined a beautiful quilt- with a shoddy looking cheapened - machine applied binding.
after ruining the second quilt i decided i will never waste my time making another quilt to only ruin at the end.
i believe some people are able to apply a binding by machine and make it look acceptable- but for me--- i think the machine stitched binding makes it look as if i may as well have bought the quilt at walmart.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:41 AM

i'm not doing a quilt for a show and think i will try that on my next quilt.....why not? ilike your line of reasoning!
Old 05-02-2011, 04:42 AM

I sew it on the front, then flip and hand stitch to the back. It makes more of a rolled-type edge to the quilt that I like over a flat edge. I really like hand sewing the binding as it is relaxing and just puts the personal finish on it.