Speaking of Hats...

Old 05-02-2011, 08:35 AM

Thanks goodness times have changed. I got married in 1956 and was always a rebel when it came to house dresses. I did wear an apron over my jeans when cooking. I still do that only because I'm a messy cook. The world changed in the 70's. My older girls wore hats and gloves Easter Sunday to Church. My youngest born in 1970 never did.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:51 AM

I remember in grade school the girls were not allowed to wear jeans or slacks. We had to play basketball, baseball etc in a dress. Then the new principal decided we could were jeans on Friday's......which was free play day....lol

My Mom always made sure we were presentable when we went out in public. Even our play clothes all matched. I made sure my kids did the same and they do now for their own kids.

I make sure I look decent when we go out, I even "gussy up"( nice shirt or blouse and maybe even a skirt) a bit when we go out to dinner.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:06 AM

This topic brought back some memories.....I can remember as a little child (I lived with my grandparents) watching my grandmother dress for the day, and when I am out and about in my cool comfy clothes on a hot summer day I think about how she dressed every day of the year....20 degrees or 98 degrees outside. First went on a one-piece item that I don't even know what to call. It was cotton knit, had narrow straps with a scoop neck, wide leg openings with a split crotch. Next was a lace up corset from hips to just under the bustline. Then was a bra of sorts....didn't look anything like the ones we wear nowadays.....more like just a modesty cover. Stockings were attached to the garters at the bottom of the corset...cotton for every day and nylon for dress up. Over all this went a cotton slip with scoop neck and wide straps. Then her dress. Cotton for every day and fancier fabrics for church and dress up occasions. Doing the grocery shopping was considered a dress up occasion, by the way. I am really glad we don't have to dress like this now. She never wore pants a day in her life.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:22 AM

I'm very glad women aren't forced to wear ridiculous clothing anymore.

That said, I do CHOOSE to wear dresses almost all of the time and have done for the past 15 years or so (I'm 39). I choose stylish dresses or skirts for work. I wear a cotton dress with an apron to do housework. I might do the same for gardening; it depends on the weather and the laundry situation.

Slacks are a rarity for me. Sometime when it's very cold I'll wear them, but more often I just wear boots.

Pants are for working out, yoga, sleeping, puttering around the house (sometimes) and emergencies.

I love hats but don't always wear one out (except if I'm going to be outside for any length of time). I don't wear gloves except when driving, and then only to shade my hands from the sun.

But I would never presume to tell others how to dress. I do not believe style of dress has any impact at all on the quality of my work, and I would NEVER work in an office that had a strict dress code requiring everyone to dress up.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:42 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Shoot, I remember being sent off to Germany as a new bride in 1969, by my mother and grandmother from VA, in a suit and white gloves on the plane.
Within 7 years I was wearing *very* short cut-off jean shorts, tank tops, and sandals in Colorado, LOL!! How time changes, sigh. 8-) Now people barely even dress for church.

Jan in VA
ain't it da truth!!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:45 AM

My mother always dressed to go shopping. She only wore shorts at home or if we were on vacation- like Disneyland or something. She wore heels, gloves, and a hat to church every Sunday. This was in the 60's. I wore hats and gloves too.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:45 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

Originally Posted by jad1044
EAster bonnets and new Easter dress and shoes was the highlight of my life as a kid... loved it when I was "old enough" for a hat - but those days passed real fast...

Remember the nylons with the black seam in the back? How horrible to keep straight, and the little rhinestones at the ankle in back? wow!!! felt like a princess with those, but they "scratched"... uncomfortable to an extent...

Once I reached 16 years old, hats were no longer worn by young girls - just the "old ladies" wore them.... now I'm an "old lady" and would love to go back to those days, but no one wears hats anymore, and in a small town, I'd feel like people would think I'm trying to be a goodie goodie twoshoes if I tried to wear a hat to church...

Oh for the good old days!
we must be bout the same age! lol
Old 05-02-2011, 09:46 AM

We always dressed up to go "downtown". Our house caught on fire when I was a kid and my grandmother wouldn't leave the house, in the middle of the night, until she found her nylon's. Me, I was out in a heartbeat, dog held in my arms.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:51 AM

My Grandmother wore stockings and heeled shoes to walk uptown to get the mail at the Post Office.
In the mid 60's, I did some minor modelling, and we wore gloves and hats with nicer clothes on the runway.
I don't go to those extremes any more, but still appreciate an occasion that calls for class and dignity.
I still prefer dresses and suits for church, as it is a matter of respect to me.
I think it is the dignity, class and respect that is missing so badly in today's society.
Sweats with holes, and sleep pants with tank tops just still look sleazy to me in public.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:44 AM

I grew up in D C and we never went downtown in shorts or pants. We always wore a skirt/dress. In the 60's tourists started visiting in shorts and very relaxed clothes and locals did not approve LOL. Since I moved to MD in the 60s and did not make many trips to D C I am not sure when the dressing down started, but would guess in the late 70's. Take care.
Linda