bed runners

Old 05-02-2011, 09:11 AM

Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-02-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by nevrn
I've been thinking of doing a couple of bed runners, and have looked through my table runner patterns and thought I could just add more blocks to the ones I like to lengthen and widen them to make a bed runner. I guess I'm just too "thrifty" to go out and buy another pattern or quilting book, especially when the price of gas for the car is over $4.00 a gallon here in Nevada.
That's my thought as well, use a pattern from a table runner. Or one could just decide how wide you want it and how far up the bed and make a mini quilt, unless you had to have a specific pattern that you wanted to use. I can't see why any quilt pattern wouldn't work. It would work the same I would think, just finish it off like any other quilt or wall hanging. I can't see spending the extra $$ for a book. I haven't made one yet but thought about it and that is how I would do it.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
i actually make nap or twin size quilts about 65x80 that lay across the entire top of our king size bed. Some times they hang over and other only cover the top. I have a king size ivory colored bedspread and I pained the walls ivory. The "coverlet" is larger that bed runner and can be used as a quilt to cover up with. It is cheaper and quicker to make that king size quilt . I usually make this size and then I can change bedroom colors easily. Most quilt patterns come with directions for smaller sizes so choose your favorite pattern and get sewing!!! No need to buy seperate patterns for bed runners.
Since I also have a king size bed, your idea sounds really good, but when I mentioned it to DH, he said "I'm not going to spend my night fighting a large bedspread and a quilt that might fall off because it's too small" There are times........ :!: :!:
Old 05-02-2011, 10:55 AM

Thats what I mean.
In my opinion it is just a row of blocks. Choose the block, define its size, row lenght and borders if any. I'm sure anyone can made loads of it just browsing their books, magazines and quilters cache site. It can even put a good use to orphan blocks. Sometimes we buy a book just to find out we had already the contents.
Having the possibilities you in the US have on garage sales, craig list, etc, I'd hardly buy new books. Kaffe Fasset quilts for instance showcase fabric on simple traditional block patterns.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:14 PM

I have a book called Toppers by Lynda Milligan and Nancy Smith. Written in 1998, it has toppers for the foot of the bed and toppers for over the pillows. Published by Possibilities. The website is possibilitiesquilt.com
Old 05-02-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Wonnie
Originally Posted by peabee
watched the crooked nickel video. question on using fusible grid. can you wash the bed runner after using these fusibles? will it bunch?
Good question...I don't know...I'm thinking that the fusible must be extremely light weight and will stay fused to the fabric. I was, also, wondering if it then becomes hard to hand quilt or if the fusible is a detriment to machine quilting in so far as adhering to the needle. Anyone out there have any answeres?
You can quilt right through the super light weight fusible by hand or by machine. It is a little bit thicker but not too bad. I quilted by hand. The light fusible didn't pucker much at all but I did pre-wash all of my fabrics.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L
Originally Posted by Wonnie
Originally Posted by peabee
watched the crooked nickel video. question on using fusible grid. can you wash the bed runner after using these fusibles? will it bunch?
Good question...I don't know...I'm thinking that the fusible must be extremely light weight and will stay fused to the fabric. I was, also, wondering if it then becomes hard to hand quilt or if the fusible is a detriment to machine quilting in so far as adhering to the needle. Anyone out there have any answeres?
You can quilt right through the super light weight fusible by hand or by machine. It is a little bit thicker but not too bad. I quilted by hand. The light fusible didn't pucker much at all but I did pre-wash all of my fabrics.
Thanks for your input. :-)
Old 05-02-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by JusticeClan
I have a book called Toppers by Lynda Milligan and Nancy Smith. Written in 1998, it has toppers for the foot of the bed and toppers for over the pillows. Published by Possibilities. The website is possibilitiesquilt.com
I have that one also...it's been a good one!! Somewhere in my jungle that I call a sewing room is another book called "Bedwarmers" which uses the same idea.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:28 PM

Toppers are great for those of us that have cold feet at night but don't need full coverage from a quilt.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:28 PM

I just finished my first. It is 24" wide and 63" long. I made it for my grandson's room at my house. It is a pirate theme runner with pockets in the portion that lays down the sides. In the pockets I will have a book or two and toys. I am next making runners for all the beds with Christmas Themes.