Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do the binding by hand? >

Why do the binding by hand?

Why do the binding by hand?

Old 05-02-2011, 02:36 PM

My machine stitching on binding never works out; it's either outside the line of sewing or off somehow. I've tried but I like the neat look of hand binding. I'd rather be able to machine sew it since I have neuropathy in my fingers, but I'm just not successful at it.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:37 PM

I don't do much hand sewing anymore and really love to sit with my needle and project in my lap as opposed to sitting at the machine. Just a little variety I guess, but I do enjoy hand sewing.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:38 PM

I hand sew the back, because I enjoy doing it and when I
tried to machine sew it , it looked awful...need practice on
that... :-P
Old 05-02-2011, 03:10 PM

I like the cleaner look of hand binding and I actually look forward to it since its the only time I sit and watch tv while hand stitching
Old 05-02-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by LeslieSkelly
I really prefer to hand stitch the binding. Don't know why but I do. I guess it is a little more of me sewn in the quilt.
This is exactly how I feel - when I am hand sewing this last step in finishing the quilt for someone, I think of all the things I love about them, when they've given to me and how they've enriched my life, their gifts and talents, etc. When it's for me, I still hand-sew on the binding because it allows me to think about what I loved about making the quilt (fabric hunt, pattern, successful piecing or an improved skill), what I learned to do/NOT to do next time, initial ideas about my next project, etc.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:32 PM

I hand sew my binding on the back, I like how it looks and I can do it while watching TV with my DH. I also really like to do hand sewing which is the way I do my applique work.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:49 PM

I would love to stitch mine by machine but when I try it I always get a crappy look.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:57 PM

I agree. I do the hand work thing if I really have to, like if it is for our craft sale. Now I love to use the machine especially when it's for children. To me honestly, it should not matter, as long as it is sewn on right. I wonder who thought of the handwork thing.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Bagwell
I agree. I do the hand work thing if I really have to, like if it is for our craft sale. Now I love to use the machine especially when it's for children. To me honestly, it should not matter, as long as it is sewn on right. I wonder who thought of the handwork thing.

I think the handwork thing started back when quilts were all done by hand including the piecing and the quilting
:P
Old 05-02-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by oatw13
I sew mine on by machine. I just don't have the patience for hand-sewing. I don't enjoy it at all.

I sew my binding to the front and flip it to the back. I use the glue basting method to hold it down then stitch in the ditch on the front.

Works for me! :)
I do exactly the same thing - works like a charm!!! I use the invisible thread on the front, and match the binding color on the back. I also recently got a stitch in the ditch foot for my sewing machine. Wow does that work great, follows the ditch perfectly.