Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do the binding by hand? >

Why do the binding by hand?

Why do the binding by hand?

Old 05-02-2011, 04:39 PM

I machine sew to the front and hand-stitch to the back. I, too, like a narrow, 1/4inch binding and I am not confident enough in my sewing ability with my cheapy machine to attempt the back with it. And even though, I too, have arthritis, there is just something special about that last bit of time spent putting the last loving touches on a quilt that I'm going to be giving someone. I just do a little at a time and keep coming back to it until it's done. A way of saying goodbye and adding more emotion to it and gives me a great sense of accomplishment! I only started quilting a year ago and have for the most part taught myself by reading this board and other quilting sites on line, although I do have ladies that I can go to if I need something shown or explained to me in person. Thank ya'll for bein' here!
Old 05-02-2011, 04:47 PM

I cannot answer from a personal standpoint since up to now I am only a "quilt-top quilter" I'm going to get there soon but I can tell you what my mother said is the reason to do it that way. You machine sew the binding on the front and can make a nice even straight line of it because you have the whole strip of binding to make sure you have even straight coverage. You hand sew the binding to the back in case your binding width ends up waving between too short and too long. You can ease the difference in a little nip tuck at a time. Hope this makes sense.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:53 PM

I always had sew the binding on, this way I always get to use the quilt first :mrgreen:
Old 05-02-2011, 04:53 PM

I always had sew the binding on, this way I always get to use the quilt first :mrgreen:
Old 05-02-2011, 05:15 PM

I too like the look. I also don't mind hand stitching, I can sit with DH and watch TV. I should also mention that I have never made anything larger than a twin.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lizzytish
LOL it's so true, keeps you nice and warm while u work.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:21 PM

I don't think there is any rule. That said, I love handsewing the binding because I enjoy looking at the quilt laying across my lap and thinking about how nice it looks and I'm almost done. ;)

Just personal preference.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:28 PM

I hand sew mine to the back. I just don't have the skill to make a machine sewn one look good (YET). With eyesight problems, fixing bad stitches is a lot harder than the time it takes me to hand sew it.
Stephanie
Old 05-02-2011, 05:54 PM

I only do my bindings by hand.
We spend all this time making a pretty quilt, why not finish it up nicely as well. Would we paint a car with a brush or spray paint it?
Just my thought!!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:56 PM

Not sure, but I think it may be a throwback to days gone by.
Whenever I see an older quilt with hand stitching, I always think 1) it must have been made with extra love; 2) someone with a special fondness for hand sewing or 3) quilter was taught by a grandmother who felt the only way to complete a quilt was to hand sew the binding, why?, because she said so LOL
I machine sew all my bindings with decorative stitches.
The time it would take me to hand stitch the binding, I could finish another quilt top LOL