Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do the binding by hand? >

Why do the binding by hand?

Why do the binding by hand?

Old 05-02-2011, 06:08 PM

I took a class to learn how to bind on the machine. I do not like "hand work" as I crochet, paint, and knit, so have plenty of other hand work projects.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:23 PM

I prefer hand stitching. I like the look and I do it while watching TV.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
I feel the same way. I don't hand stitch that well, and my machine is capable of many stitches. I did not spend a gazillion dollars on a machine only to have to finish something by hand. GO FOR IT!
I couldn't agree more. We don't do anything by hand. The only exception is a small unfinished quilt that my wife made when she first started. We decided to hand quilt it since it is small, but it may never get finished.

All of the quilts we have made were to be used, and we think the machine binding is more durable. The first bed quilt we made was machine quilted by a LQS and they also did the binding (by hand). The thread has broken in a couple of places and the binding is starting to come apart. Thankfully, the quilt was for us, so we can repair it and don't mind doing so, but I don't want a quilt that we've given to someone to come apart and them to think they've done something to destroy it.

At the end of the day, it's your call. If you like the look of one binding over the other, or you prefer to do it a certain way - your opinion rules.

Darren
Old 05-02-2011, 07:24 PM

I enjoy doing the bonding by hand and like the appearance of hand sewn.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:40 PM

I prefer the look of the hand-stitched binding. I always have liked doing hand work. In fact, I like doing the binding. It's the quilting I don't like to do. I'd rather baste than quilt!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:57 PM

I just like the process of sewing by hand - I like to be doing something by hand while watching TV.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:06 PM

Totally personal preference. If that's what you want go for it. :thumbup:
Old 05-02-2011, 09:13 PM

iused to do it by hand on fine quilts. i found that quilts given to the children and g/c were never mended if they came apart, so i now sew them on the machine, so the binding will last as long as the quilt. my SIL has cats, dogs, uses the quilts on top of the bed and therefore washes them frequently...so i use the machine on hers, also.
i have an S stitch on my old Bernina that looks good. i don't care for the straight stitch or zig zag. other stiches take more time, but this one works for me and if the binding isn't perfectly even or the stitching exact, it doesn't show!
Old 05-02-2011, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by LeslieSkelly
I really prefer to hand stitch the binding. Don't know why but I do. I guess it is a little more of me sewn in the quilt.
I feel the same way, but I do it for the satisfaction, and I do not machine them very well.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:35 AM

I like to hand stitch because it relaxes me and I find it relaxing and it gives me a sense of accomplishment.