Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need opinions about fabric quality from Connecting Threads >

Need opinions about fabric quality from Connecting Threads

Need opinions about fabric quality from Connecting Threads

Old 05-03-2011, 04:24 AM

I liked the fabrics that I ordered from them.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:27 AM

I think it is nice fabric - better than JoAnn's but not as nice as Hoffmann. About the quality and feel of Red Rooster.
A bargain.
Nell
Old 05-03-2011, 04:27 AM

I have to disagree that Connecting Threads fabric is similar to JoAnn's quality - I think CT's fabric is much better, although it is not the same as LQS fabric. However, the prices can't be beat, and they are a wonderful company to deal with. Just one caveat if you do order from CT - they sometimes discontinue fabrics very quickly. So make sure that you have enough of whatever you're going to use for the big quilt that you're making. The color palette sounds wonderful, by the way!
Old 05-03-2011, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by insgal62
I am getting ready to start a very large quilt as a wedding gift for my friend's daughter. Her Mom recommended the colors to be black and grey to match the new comforter set she had purchased for them. Then they would place my quilt neatly folded at the foot of the bed.

I spent days looking for fabric only to be hugely disappointed not only in the lack of choice in grey and black tone on tones. But what little I could find was extremely poor quality fabric. Very thin and crappy. I spent hours looking online and came across two of the three fabrics I need for this quilt at Connecting Threads.com Customer Service told me they manufacture all their own fabrics. Has anyone been ordering from them and if so . . . how did you like the quality of the fabric? I need 15 yards of one particular fabric and I would hate to order that much and be stuck with something that was poor quality. I'd love to hear your feedback!

Thanks everyone! Sandi
I have bought from them many times and have never been disappointed. Another good place to go is AThousandBoltsandoneNut very good quality and a little less expensive. They use the same manufacturers as the LQS do. They carry Amish true black.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:34 AM

For that amount and with your concern....not to mention what method/pattern you want to make....Connecting Thread offers samples (by the group) for $2-3. I have an order sitting on my desk and it is good quality for a Quilts of Valor.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:55 AM

CT is not LQS quality. I have ordered from them many times and used their fabrics often. I just made a bag of theirs this past weekend. It's comparable to some of the better Joann's fabrics (not the keepsake stuff). I prefer to find LQS fabrics on sale when I can. My favourite places for this are fatquartershop.com and fabric.com. I have also had huge problems with CT's customer service, so just know that they're not universally helpful.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:11 AM
Banned

you will get a vast difference in opinions on this subject I am sure...I am only reading the first page here..

anyway, I have worked in textiles for more than 25 years and was a buyer for a large chain store...the quality of the fabric at CT is mediocre....some can be decent, but the most of it is lesser quality. it is comparable to hobby lobby, joann and hancocks...not quite walmart, but close! It is definately NOT quilt shop quality...however LQS fabrics are changing as well due the lower thread count greige goods being used now to conserve cotton...at best it is a crap shoot anywhere these days. BUT let me say that with black you need the BEST quality you can find, it does not wear/hold color as well if you buy lesser quality!

Try fabricshack.com, stitch-n-frame.net, and search on quiltshops.com
Old 05-03-2011, 05:32 AM

I have ordered several times from them. The batiks were fine as well as I like their threads but I found that the solids when thin and not LQS quality.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:51 AM

I have ordered from them several times and their fabric is really good quality, its just as good as the ones that you can get at the LQS. I am very please with them, their customer service is really good to.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:53 AM
C.

Hi Sandi, I have been using fabric from Connecting Threads for years and have made many a beautiful quilts with it. I have also used quilt shop fabric, which is good too. But I will tell you that I have also bought some quilt shop fabric that was thinner than others, so I don't see any difference in quilt shop and connecting threads or even walmart or JoAnne's as long as you check for the thin and thickness and overall appearance of the quality. Sometimes I think there is too much hype on quilt shop fabric. Don't get me wrong, it is nice, but so are others. I use them all with wonderfu results. Good luck...C.