Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rude Guild Members/Need Help >

Rude Guild Members/Need Help

Rude Guild Members/Need Help

Old 05-03-2011, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by julia58
I believe you have enough suggestions. I just wanted to say good luck in your new position. Anytime you have a bunch of hens in one spot, there is going to be a whole bunch of cackling going on...
:roll: :) I think it was always "the old biddies" that seemed to be the most troublesome - - -
Old 05-03-2011, 06:51 AM

I used to completely stop talking and look at the ones talking over me. When they shut up, I would start again. I would also make a comment when opening up the meeting to the effect...."Ladies, please mind our manners. The faster you let me get through this by giving me your attention, the quicker we get to the goodies and show n tell."

I was also ornery. When no one was signing up for quilt show committees, I would circulate the list and tell them that if they hadn't signed up for a committee it meant "put me where you need me".

It's all about presentation! LOL Good Luck!
Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 AM

This subject is near and dear to my heart - a pet peeve of mine, and an issue that keeps me away from my local Guild meetings. Chairs are set around circular tables and there's a constant chatter throughout the room, so no one person to address. I've tried staring them down, without any luck. I can't believe a group of adults can be so rude.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:08 AM

My DH was the prez of a car club and there was one couple who always talked when he was trying to get things started for our next car show finaly DH put the couple incharge of finding vendors (sence I always got the vendors) they desided that talking got you something you knew nothing about.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:14 AM

I think that these things may work. I joined a new guild and they are awful about this. My last guild was not. Part of the difference is the room layout and how the meeting is run. The first room was set up so you were in rows, looking at the front. The second has people facing each other not looking directly at the speaker. I think this encourages people to chat.

The first guild had a generous social time before the meeting so that everybody had enough time to gab. Then you had a brisk business meeting with a podium and microphone. Topics for discussion were presented in the newsletter so you had time to think about it. I think when you get there and a new topic is brought up you "think outloud" alot. Finally there was a break before the speaker.

The new guild lets people keep their projects at their seats so that is a distraction. The old guild if you brought anything for show/tell you deposited it on a table as you walk in and you didnt sit around doing hand stitching during the meeting.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:21 AM
Banned

The President rings a bell when too much side talking occurs
Old 05-03-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Calico92402
This subject is near and dear to my heart - a pet peeve of mine, and an issue that keeps me away from my local Guild meetings. Chairs are set around circular tables and there's a constant chatter throughout the room, so no one person to address. I've tried staring them down, without any luck. I can't believe a group of adults can be so rude.
Ditto! That's pretty much why I stopped going to Guild meetings; i.e, rude, non-stop talkers. There were a couple, in particular, who could not be reined in despite using most of the techniques suggested here. If anything, it made it worse. For example, one woman liked to "hold court" with all her buddies and, if you stopped the meeting to ask them to stop, the Queen just talked louder so everyone could hang on her every word. I felt sorry especially for those who would be showing their hard work, only to have to holler over the rude members. Such a shame.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:43 AM

our president during her opening comments and announcments always makes a point to say and she waits till they do, shut off all cell phones or put them on vibrate.and then asks them to respect our speaker and do not talk during their presentation.sometimes you just cant be nice,tell them as a group there is way to much conversing going on and it needs to stop,becasue you are getting complaints
Old 05-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I would hate to embarrass someone or make anyone feel uncomfortable. Unlike business meetings, people come to a quilt guild to have fun and they can choose not to come again if they are made to feel uncomfortable or have negative attention called to them. If I went to a guild meeting and the speaker called my name or came to stand next to me if I was talking, I'd probably be so embarrassed I would not come back. At the first meeting, you could talk about the "problem" and ask for suggestions so that all the members feel they are a part of the solution. My aunt is a teacher and when her classroom would get noisy, she would turn out the light and when it got quiet, she'd turn it back on and continue talking. Maybe you could make a game out of it. Pass out numbered slips of paper and if someone is talking others could take their paper from them. At the end of the meeting, draw a number and whoever has the paper with that number on it would win a fat quarter or pattern. Just something to make it a fun reminder not to talk when someone else is talking.
I have to respectfully disagree with this. If someone is rude enough to be chatting while there is a speaker speaking and others trying to listen, then they have to take the consequence for their actions. If they don't want to be called out and possibly embarrassed, then they should behave, act like an adult and listen quietly like everyone else in the room.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:46 AM

Once rules are established, meeting in process... you find chats going on, stop talking and stand saying nothing. The quiet is usually enough to catch their attention. Sometimes it is best NOT to say anything. When you speak again if chatting starts, do the same thing. You will be surprised how fast your class will learn not to speak out of turn. You have actually gave them the floor... They really do njot want it. You gave respect and they are being taught to respect back. :) :) :)