Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seams-do you iron them open or to the darkest side? >

Seams-do you iron them open or to the darkest side?

Seams-do you iron them open or to the darkest side?

Old 05-03-2011, 06:55 AM

I always was told to press to the dark. But I don't always follow what I've been told. I press the seams open in the 10 minute block. The seams lay better for that block, in my opinion.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 AM

Like other ladies here (oops, maybe men too!) for me it depends on the block or situation. I don't buy the "stronger if pressed to the side" theory - look at clothing, we most always pressed to those seams open. For me it's all about bulk...I do whatever reduces bulk. Do what seems to make sense to you and don't worry about the QP.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:38 AM

I think it is a matter of strength of seam. we were taught in basic clothing class to always press the seam open. I believe the original theory with quilting was they were all hand done and the hand sewn seams were stronger pressed to side. Now in todays world, I think it could be more a matter of choice at this point. If I was making a childs quilt which I knew would get a lot of wear and use, I would press to the side and sew with a shorter than average stitch. A quilt made for display (wall hanging) or for an older adult I would do what ever worked, especially where bulk was an issue. However if matching seams is going to be important in the overall design of the quilt, I would definitatly press to side and make sure every seam was locked into place, with one seam going one direction and the other seam going opposite direction, that way your seams will ALWAYS match well. and yes on some very bulky seams I have pounded them flat with a hammer !!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:54 AM

I press to the dark most of the time. Sometimes when putting complex blocks together you have to press to the light side or open seams. It just depends what will work best when quilting. :D
Old 05-03-2011, 07:59 AM

It really doesn't make any difference anymore. What ever works for you. Some times you can't press to the dark side depending on the pattern. Just try the different ways, and see.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 AM

Yes most of the time, or almost off the time. there are times when pressing it open is a good thing. To help make things lay flatter. The reson for pressing to the "lights is that the seam isn't supposed to "show through". EX if the light side is a white or yellow
Old 05-03-2011, 08:55 AM

I mostly iron to the dark side. I think it gives the quilt more stability especially if you SITD. And I think I have read that if you have a lot of seams joining at the same place that pressing open is better to reduce bulk.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:19 AM

i have been taught to iron to the dark side and that is how i do it
Old 05-03-2011, 09:28 AM

Always to the dark side. Binding I iron open.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by janedb
Is there a time to do you can choose. or will something awful happen if you choose the wrong way. !!!
help... jane
Which way I press the seams depends on several things. I have been quilting almost 20 years, and I have learned this over trial and error...error...error.
1. If two pieces of a seam come together and one fabric is really dark (navy or black) and one is really light - press toward dark.
2. If I am making a star type block (regular piece or paper piece) or one where many points/seams come together at one point (like in the center) - seams open.
3. If I am making a block that radiates around a circle (dresden plate etc) - Seams open.
4. In all other cases except above, I press according to block construction. What I mean is on a nine patch, for example, top row and bottom row-press same direction (say to the right-consider colors etc) and the middle row-the opposite direction (say left). That way when you join the rows of the block, they "lock" together and eliminate bulky seams.

**Pressing open will weaken the seam, but in the examples above, it is worth it. I would not do it all the time though. Good luck.