Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Sewing Machines >

Singer Sewing Machines

Singer Sewing Machines

Old 05-03-2011, 07:03 AM

Have a beautiful old singer long bed 301. Got a featherweight table and then the search was on for the short bed to swap so that I could use my machine in the featherweight table. Soon will pick up a two tone one if I'm lucky.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:37 AM

I felt like a traitor when I got my Janome embroidery machine. I have Mamaw's treadle, Mom's first singer portable-electric, and a lovely blue Singer I began college with in 1967. After all the time we've spent together, I still love Singers the best. Maybe after 44 years with my Janome, I will love it as much. Doubt I will live to be 105, though!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the tip. I've already looked up the 31-15 since reading your post. I have not been sewing or quilting long...about 1 1/2 years. I've never sewn or even seen someone sewing with a treadle. I've always wondered how it works. Do you have to keep peddling that treadle or do your feet take breaks? Silly question, I know, but I've always wondered.

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Originally Posted by Debbie B
I have a newer computerized Brother machine and I use it for piecing. I bought it for the drop feed for FMQ. But, the work space is only 5". So I bought a 1953 Singer 15-125 off Craigslist, because it had a screw that would drop the dog feed and had 7" of work space. 2" may not sound like a lot, but it is to me. I was so surprised at the power of the old Singer that at first I was scared of it...ha. Now it's the only machine that I use for FMQ. I would love to get a mid arm set up or (in my dreams) a long arm, but I will probably always keep this old Singer.
Get this one. Last year I got a Singer 31-15 treadle for FMQ, and the throat space is almost 10.5"!!! It's an industrial, and there are several models with similar harp space. Mine is totally AWESOME for my FMQ, and I'll never need to contemplate the long arm. They just don't make them like that anymore.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the tip. I've already looked up the 31-15 since reading your post. I have not been sewing or quilting long...about 1 1/2 years. I've never sewn or even seen someone sewing with a treadle. I've always wondered how it works. Do you have to keep peddling that treadle or do your feet take breaks? Silly question, I know, but I've always wondered.

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I have a newer computerized Brother machine and I use it for piecing. I bought it for the drop feed for FMQ. But, the work space is only 5". So I bought a 1953 Singer 15-125 off Craigslist, because it had a screw that would drop the dog feed and had 7" of work space. 2" may not sound like a lot, but it is to me. I was so surprised at the power of the old Singer that at first I was scared of it...ha. Now it's the only machine that I use for FMQ. I would love to get a mid arm set up or (in my dreams) a long arm, but I will probably always keep this old Singer.
Get this one. Last year I got a Singer 31-15 treadle for FMQ, and the throat space is almost 10.5"!!! It's an industrial, and there are several models with similar harp space. Mine is totally AWESOME for my FMQ, and I'll never need to contemplate the long arm. They just don't make them like that anymore.
Hey Debbie,

The pedal on the treadle just rocks back & forth (forward and back), and yes, you do need to keep it going as you sew. The larger industrials take a bit more to get it going than the normal home machines do. But, the more you do it, the less you really have to think about it. I just find that I feel I have more control on the treadle rather than the electric. AND, you do get a little workout to-boot. I just think it's SEW much fun. :) That's why I'm the Happy Treadler. ha ha

Trina
Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 AM

I know this is a dumb question. I have an old Singer in a cabinet, it is a treadle. It works. Do any of you use a treadle?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 AM

BOTH most people buy the feather weights to sew on them. Light enough to carry to classes with very little effort
Old 05-03-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Sew and Sew
I know this is a dumb question. I have an old Singer in a cabinet, it is a treadle. It works. Do any of you use a treadle?
That is ALL I use! :mrgreen:
Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 AM

I sewed on a treadle when I was working at a nearby nursing home, I relly liked it and got it going with no problem. I would love to have a vintage machine, from what I've seen at teh board, they are great work horses and don't need much, just oiling and greasing.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by lbaillie
Originally Posted by Up North
The old machine will last forever the newer ones are disposable?!
which is a shame considering the money we spend on the new ones. I have gone back to my old singer for piecing and use my fancy machine for fancy work! So I don't ware it out.
I spent about $100 for my first little Brother machine 5 years ago when I started quilting. I wore it out in 2 years. Started skipping stitches, and it would have cost over $50 to repair it. No deal!! My next Brother cost me $195, and it's still going. But I paid about $120 for my 301 and all the parts needed, and because of how sturdy it is, I know I won't have to replace anything on it in my lifetime. Now that's a deal!! :-)
Old 05-03-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sew and Sew
YEP--just go back and read this thread--and visit the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop