Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome FMQ tension >

Janome FMQ tension

Janome FMQ tension

Old 05-01-2011, 05:27 AM

As always, I have learned a new thing by reading the threads. Didn't know about the different needles. Guess I will go buy some. Thanks again everyone for the all the great info on this forum.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:57 AM

I have the 6600 also. I use the blue bobbin and find the tension needs to be set just a little higher. I think I set mine close 6 or 7 most of the time. I also find if I move my fabric faster, I do better. I read that using a top stitch needle works better because of the length of the thread opening and it has a groove that holds the thread and feeds it better. I tried it as well as cleaning my machine real well and putting a drop of oil in that little spot and things are working much better. With any problem, I always re-thread my needle, for some reason it helps. More fun!!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:35 PM

I thought I'd come back to this thread, which I started in some despair a few weeks ago, to let you know what happened. Since then I've been on holiday so haven't had much time to try out all the tips and advice that was offered, but yesterday I took a deep breath and went back to my machine. And - I found a combination of settings, needle, thread and bobbin case that worked! I'd only intended to start to work on it, but by the end of the afternoon I'd stipple-quilted half a quilt - and really enjoyed doing it! The results weren't perfect, but definitely good enough. In 7 years with this machine, it was the first time that I'd had a trouble-free FMQ session. I'm so thrilled - all my enthusiasm is back after a long period of frustration and loss of confidence.
For info, the combination that worked was: no.11 top stitch needle; Superior Threads King Tut thread top and bottom; blue dot bobbin case; tension on 9. So the tension is still a bit extreme, but if it works, that's fine!
A big thankyou to everyone who gave me help and encouragement.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:36 PM

Oh yes - and I was also using a Magic Bobbin Washer.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:56 AM

I'm so pleased you've got there at last - well done!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:02 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I'm glad you've made it work but I still think there's something wrong - I FMQ with King Tut on 3 tension setting and no bobbin washer. I do use a 12 needle though and Bottom Line in the bobbin.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
I'm glad you've made it work but I still think there's something wrong - I FMQ with King Tut on 3 tension setting and no bobbin washer. I do use a 12 needle though and Bottom Line in the bobbin.
Yes, I agree, it shouldn't be like this, especially with the blue dot bobbin case, which, from what others have told me, usually seems to require a lower tension. However, just to get some acceptable results is a huge step forward, and the fact that I then quite competently stippled my quilt is important, because I've so often been told that the problem must be me rather than the machine. There's still a long way to go - what will happen with different threads, batting, fabric? But the major hurdle of my destroyed confidence has been overcome: I CAN do FMQ, and at least it answers the worry that I might spend a lot on a new machine and find that I still couldn't get decent results. Next step is to do a lot more work with this machine and see if I can continue to coax it into producing acceptable stitches, or if I just have to accept that it's not good enough and I need to invest in a new one. I don't think I'm going to get any more help from my dealer or from Janome, both of whom refuse to accept that having to have the tension on 9 to stand any chance of doing FMQ is a problem.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:30 PM

If it works with the tension on 9 then perhaps there isn't a problem. From what's been said before, it seems that, whatever the make, every machine has its own idiosyncrasies - it's just a question of discovering what they are!
Old 05-25-2011, 02:45 PM

Just thought I would give you a telephone number if your Janome keeps acting up. I purchased a Janome here in Winston-Salem, NC at Triad Sewing and Vacuum Center. The gentleman that works on the Janome machines is very knowledgeable - if you want to call long-distance, he might be able to help you with your problem via the phone. If you decide to call, the number is: 336/784-8221. If you can't call, I'll be glad to ask him whatever you want me to. Just let me know.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Somerset Val
If it works with the tension on 9 then perhaps there isn't a problem. From what's been said before, it seems that, whatever the make, every machine has its own idiosyncrasies - it's just a question of discovering what they are!
I hope this is so - I can live with 9 if it will just work consistently! I need to try some different combinations of threads and battings before I can feel confident: it's been a long, long struggle.