Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Sewing Machines >

Singer Sewing Machines

Singer Sewing Machines

Old 05-03-2011, 10:54 AM
jo

The company definately has been sold. The new featherweight is all plastic. The sewing bed is held on by 2 tiny hooks, if you placed anything heavy on it-it would snap. The machine was very queit though.

I bought on and sent it back.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:43 AM

my question too...
Old 05-03-2011, 12:35 PM

I have to laugh when I go to the movies and see someone using a treadle and they have both feet side by side. Don't they wonder where the 'lope' comes from? Anyone that really uses a treadle for sewing knows .. one foot up and one foot down. That's what grandmother taught. I have very trim ankles today. LOL
Old 05-03-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Maura
I'm so fed up with modern sewing machines that I just bought a 201-2 off ebay a couple of days ago. I think I will also get a 301.
I bought a Singer 201-2 on ebay to place into the art deco cabinet Mom used when I was a kid. I learned to sew on that old Singer model & am so excited for my new/old baby to arrive. Mom traded it in for a newer model Singer & was never as happy with the new one. She is gone now, & in Mom's honor, this 201-2 will be named Lizzie. It does a beautiful straight stitch and has many attachment options that match my newer machine. I can live without my needle down & thread cutter to get the straight stitch that will go through my quilting, as well as my hubby's carharts without having to stop & replace broken needles. I'll keep my computerized Babylock, but I bet the Singer will become my workhorse.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by olebat
Be careful - collecting vintage machines can become addictive. They are scattered all over my house. I have to remember which one has which color thread for quick mending without having to change thread. With the older machines, I sew through heavy layers of jeans (including the seams)and even leather. Also, even my old treadle will drop the feed dogs for free motion sewing.
You are so right on the addiction part. I now have several vintage Singers and Necchis. Even DH appreciates the quality of the workmanship in these old machines and is quite the enabler, lol.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:19 PM

We (my husband and I)refurbish vintage machines. There is both charm and durability in the older machines. They were made with quality materials and quality workmanship.
Parts are readily available from those that are not repairable so it's not as if they break they are done. Due to their contruction they have a great deal fewer failure points then the more modern ones. All the way up through the 500 hundred series(singer) were made well. After that the fashion mates, 600s etc drastically dropped in quality. Stitch quality on the older machines is often better then the new- I personally have sewn on several hundred, new, used and vintage and am continually impressed with the consistant quality of stitch output of the older machines. Their goal was to produce good machines that could handle most any project thrown at them. Now machines are made as throw aways- depending on how much you wish to throw away is what you look at. Unless you absolutely need bells an whistles , an older machine actually will serve you longer so your output for initial price and repairs is less. If you are looking for one be make sure the seller is reputable and will stand behind their work. Many of our customers are ones who are gun shy because they have gotten burned both in new and used machine buying. Older Singers, Pfaff, Necchi, Husquvarna/Viking, Elna are great. some of the older Japanese makes are laso very good and if you are a quilter looking for easy manuverabilty for swirling free hand they tend to glide easier. Check around andtry them out.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:20 PM

My 1941 Singer is the most reliable machine ever. I own several much newer ones but find them annoying in their quirks; my Singer has no quirks except that she will no longer make bobbins. Bought a SideWinder (I think that's what it's called) and make many at a time on it. No problems. I am starting to learn about FeatherWeights since I hate taking my machine to classes, and hate borrowing a machine. I'll get my Featherweight soon!
Old 05-03-2011, 03:44 PM

I grew up sewing on a 99. My mom, bless her sweet heart, gave it to me this year, complete with original cabinet. I have a newer Brother machine which I love however they just don't make them like they used to. There is nothing like an old Singer for sewing through layers and thicknesses. I also love the romance of creating an ancient craft on an old machine.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:53 PM

I love my Singer F/W and my 301. They sew through lightweight cottons all the way through the binding on a thick quilt. I just increased the size of the stitch a little and did't even have a walking foot. Absolutely NO problems! Love my F/W, actually sewed a pillowcase dress for my GGD this week and it was a dream. Just had to use serger for finishing seams.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:02 PM

Right now, I have 2 computerized machines (Brother 8500 and a Pfaff 7530) but I really want an "older Singer all metal" machine for some of the nice straight stitches that I am seeing that they produce. I don't need all the bells and whistles for simple piecing. But I'm just not sure what models to really look at now. Would like to stay under $250 and I do know that I want an electric one that I can haul (aka lug) to my LQS & classes. Any suggestions?