Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Heat & Bond vs wonderunder vs ? >

Heat & Bond vs wonderunder vs ?

Heat & Bond vs wonderunder vs ?

Old 05-03-2011, 03:40 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by quiltingaz
Lite Steam-A-Seam2 is what I use. It is lightweight and if you just use it around edges of large pieces you can hardly tell it is there.
This is what I use normally and did so on several McKenna Ryan projects. I too cut out the center on the fusible if the pattern piece is large before doing the fusing. Usually I save all those pieces and any others scraps to use on smaller patterns. Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I have to disagree with ckcowl on the batik statement. In my experience, batiks are the best possible fabrics to fuse since the tight weave practically guarantees no fraying of the edges. All fusibles require pre-washing the fabrics in order to adhere properly.

I use Wonder Under (Pellon 805) after having tried Heat'n'Bond and Steam-a-Seam regular and lite, and have never had any problems at all with it. I do fabric collage art quilts and can still hand embroider through 6 layers of fabric and 5 layers of Wonder Under without any strain.

If you want to go with a paperless web, try MistyFuse. It's the lightest weight fusible currently available.
Sandwich the Misty Fuse between two pieces of parchment paper and iron. Now you have a paper backed very light weight fusible.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by JudyM
Can one use 505 spray also?
You can use Elmers Washable School Glue. I use it on die cut pieces like those from Keepsake.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by applique
Sandwich the Misty Fuse between two pieces of parchment paper and iron. Now you have a paper backed very light weight fusible.
I'll have to try that, thanks. Now that I've learned how to transfer cutting lines directly to the web so I'm not always cutting paper with my good scissors, I've been wanting to try some Misty Fuse. It's nice to know it can be papered if necessary...more versaitile that way.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Dee

I like steam to seam. I'll have try misty fuse. Where do you get it?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:35 PM

Agree with Carol - steam a seam lite 2 - plus it has the advantage that you can place it on the 'background' material and 'rub it with your hand' to make it 'stick'. Then if the position is not correct, you can remove and replace it. Do this before the final step of ironing it in place for its final spot. This is GREAT IF YOU HAVE MANY PIECES to applique!
Old 05-03-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Darlene
I have used both and prefer the Wonderunder.
Me, too. Heat and bond is too thick and if you want to sew through it, it messes up your needle. froggyintexas
Old 05-03-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by trugger
Hi Everyone,
I need some expert advice....

I'm wondering what y'all use for applique and how you like it.

For the first time, I used Heat & Bond to applique fun things to the outside of a playhouse for my niece.
It worked well, but it's a little thick.
And, I'm not sure how it will wash.

My next project (or one of my next projects) will be a quilt with many circles appliqued. (not sure of the exact design yet, but I want circles).

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the product used to iron the appliqued piece affects the final quilt?
When I appliqued circles, I did E. Burns method. Light weight fusible interfacing sewed around all the way, cut a small slit in the back, turned right side out, fused to quilt and then zigzagged around. Turned out great. See in my avitar.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by icon17
? where do you get your Misty fuse and Wonderunder I've never seen or heard of them here in my area. 8-)
I lived in Bothell,WA for 11 years -- Your JoAnn Fabrics and the Hancock Fabrics both carry wonder under and have for years. I also like to use stitch witchery for applique. And, I agree about using lite - the lightest works best for machine or hand applique work.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 PM

I generally use Wonder Under for my fuseable applique. I had a bad experience with Heat and Bond gumming up my needle and causing problems with my machine. The newer light weight Heat and Bond seems to be better.