Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rude Guild Members/Need Help >

Rude Guild Members/Need Help

Rude Guild Members/Need Help

Old 05-04-2011, 03:49 AM

If you can't hear, you could try just getting up and moving to the front if possible. I wish we could fine all the folks who feel the need to chat/gossip during meetings. Has anyone tried doing somehting like that?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:57 AM

Sometimes people start talking because they are hard of hearing and can't keep track of the speaker if there is no public address system or loop system to assist their hearing. They then start talking, and again because they are hearing impaired, they don't realise that they are talking too loudly for the rest to hear comfortably. If you could discuss the need to purchase a microphone or easy listening device with your guild members because of this problem (it is more appropriate at a meeting when your guest speaker is not there), it could solve the problem. The 'rude' people will be made aware of your thoughts without singling out anyone in particular and, if finances are tight, everyone will be aware that they don't want to have to buy extra devices because people can't keep quiet for 20 minutes or so.
Also, I suggest you always have the speaker as the first item so that everyone is fresh.
Best of luck.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:04 AM

We have the same problem at our Chapter meeting. And at this time the President is the worse offender. Glad this year is soon over.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by gal288
During my career, one of my duties was running training sessions for groups of 50+. Chit chat during the meeting was always a problem until I used this method.

When I noticed someone talking, I would simply say, "Peg, do you have a question? or Peg, would you like to share your comments with the group?, or anything that would draw attention to the person talking." They will back down and sit quietly after that.

Once the group realizes that you are going to call on them, the talking stops. It's amazing how people don't want to be singled out.

After a couple of meetings, they get the message and usually the meetings run smoother from there on.

Hope this helps.
I really like this idea, I belong to a large group and this is one of our problem also. This sounds like a great way to handel it. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:06 AM

Ask them if they heard the comment because you could not hear it.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:07 AM

Maybe you need to do what teachers do during an assembly with small children, and separate the offending talkers. I think that might embarrass them into silence.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rainy Day
I have used a water pistol in meetings with a persistent talker. It got to the point that I could not hear anything but their voice, and I asked them repeatedly, nicely to be quiet, or I would shoot them. It only took one soaking!

I understand that in the US you have slightly more relaxed laws about what kind of pistols you can carry :)
ROFLMBO!!!!! As a concealed carry permit holder (but not a guild member yet) I find your comment hilarious. As for the water pistol, glad it worked better than it does on my cat ;-)
Old 05-04-2011, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by gal288
During my career, one of my duties was running training sessions for groups of 50+. Chit chat during the meeting was always a problem until I used this method.

When I noticed someone talking, I would simply say, "Peg, do you have a question? or Peg, would you like to share your comments with the group?, or anything that would draw attention to the person talking." They will back down and sit quietly after that.

Once the group realizes that you are going to call on them, the talking stops. It's amazing how people don't want to be singled out.

After a couple of meetings, they get the message and usually the meetings run smoother from there on.

Hope this helps.
I remember teachers doing this too.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by kathyd
I agree, and I belong to a small guild.
Do you have a gavel? If so you could try rapping it when things start to get out of hand (or maybe before it does get out of hand!).
Congratulations, madame Prez. Good luck.
A big gavel!!! This happens at all the guilds I belong . One guild (no roberts rules) one gal blew a whistle. It works. The ones that complain sometimes are the ones having the conversation. Another way might be just keep talking, and someone that is trying to listen will tell them. Have fun with your new postion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 04:24 AM

I wish you luck in what you try to do to curb the chatter. It is happening all over and not just in guilds. My husband came home complaining about being in a meeting yesterday and the amount of people using their cell phones and computers was horrible. Even the director was busy doing her own thing and not paying attention to what was going on. she was asked a question and replied - sorry but i wasn't paying attention. what does that tell you.