Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Patty's Biscuit Quilts >

Patty's Biscuit Quilts

Patty's Biscuit Quilts

Old 07-23-2010, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Evelynquilts
What a great idea...I think I`ll try it for the Linus quilts I make...thanks for sharing... :-D
You're very welcome Evelyn.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Julo
What stitch did you use to connect your biscuits? If you used a whip stitch, does the stitching show on one side? I'm wondering what stitch to use so that it can be reversible.

This really appeals to me. I like your ideas of using up scraps or old clothing and making just a few pieces at a time. I figure if I make a few each time I watch television, I should have enough in a year to make a quilt to cover up!
I just used a whip stitch and yes there is a right and wrong side but it really doesn't seem to matter which side is up as it's beautiful both ways. My stitches were very tiny and very close together. It was the best way I could figure out to do them as I'm not fond of spending hours on the sewing machine quilting. I can sew for hours and piece for hours without issue. I suspect it's the weight of working with a quilt that gets to me. Really wears me out as the piece gets larger plus I truly do enjoy hand work so I can be in the same room with hubby in the evenings. I do sew the individual shapes on the sewing machine though and then connect by hand.

If you're into fancy stitching by hand, you probably could use a fancy type embroidery stitch to connect the hexagons so that it would be beautiful on both sides but that would involve more time than I'd personally care to put into it although if one is skilled at such stitching, it probably would work out about the same time wise. Enjoy however you approach it.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by piepatch
I remember when these biscuit quilts caught on and were being made a lot. Some people were stuffing them with cotton balls and others used those rectangular shaped facial cleansing cotton pads. It seemed like for a while there they were stuffing them with any and everything. I think I heard of some who used old panty hose for stuffing. I have seen them for sale in the Ozarks through the years. Anybody I have talked to who makes them say they are fun to make.
That's really interesting. I'd never read or heard of stuffing them like this but I do know that true traditional quilter will never let anything go to waste and will fine a way to incorporate it into their quilts. With the cost of quilting supplies today, I can see where many may just start doing some of these things because it's getting quite expensive to buy new to quilt. I'm partial to patchwork anyway so using scraps and old clothing would suit me just fine or finding clothing at rummage, garage sales or thrift shops. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt4u
Wow!!!!!! That is beautiful.
Thank you.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt4u
Wow!!!!!! That is beautiful.
Thank you.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:31 AM

thanks for the instructions...
Old 05-04-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by sewdarnbusy
thanks for the instructions...
You're very welcome. I'm getting ready to start another one of these quilts as it's my 18 year old granddaughter's favorite grammy quilt. Whenever she visits us in FL she asks to use that quilt so will make her one of her very own. Just finished up a twin quilt for her youngest brother and then will take the fabrics used for it and cut enouth to make one of these pillows. As a scrap quilter must keep enough scraps to make other quilts too. It will take me a year or so to complete a throw for her because as a hand quilter, I'm slow but as I work plan to make these biscuits and put into a collapsable laundry basket and when there are enough will sew them together and give to her. They are fun and relaxing to make. I do whip the biscuits together by hand but think one could do them on the sewing maching if desired. The biscuits are machine stitched and the last side is hand stitched but it could also be done on the machine if desired.

Enjoy.
Hugs
Patty
Old 05-04-2011, 06:40 AM

"Life" got in the way and I completely forgot about this topic! Now I'm all enthused again and decided to get started. So I re-read the thread. Did I miss how you assembled the biscuits once you had them made? Did you sew them together in rows? Or is it easier to divide the quilt top into "blocks" (so to speak) and then sew the blocks together?

This is such a good take-along project and not too hot to work on in the summer!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:06 AM

Really pretty.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:11 AM

Those are pretty!