Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rude Guild Members/Need Help >

Rude Guild Members/Need Help

Rude Guild Members/Need Help

Old 05-04-2011, 05:47 AM

Am retired now but have suffered through endless meetings in my lifetime. I was always polite, never chatted with others no matter how bored I was and, at the end, asked myself, "What did I learn" to end up looking over all my notes and discovering I had learned nothing. The book I mentioned earlier, "Say It In Six" tells you how to present a speech in 6 minutes and say everything that needs to be said and six minutes is the amount of time they have determined is the actual time you have your audiences attention. I, also, am adverse to speakers who give a handout and then proceed to READ the handout to me as though I don't have enough intelligence to read it and understand it myself. In so far as a special speaker, then that speaker should be scheduled separately and not during the time you normally get together to knit.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:57 AM

This drives me crazy!!! I have tried and tried to get people to stop but I can't bring myself to turn around and get their attention. However, my friend, who is a retired Navy Nurse who was in a command position uses her best glare and usually gets results!! The chit chat usually happens during the business meeting and the president of the guild is a friend of mine and I feel really bad for her. Also, we pay upwards of $5000 for these speakers because they are nationally reknown people and when people talk over them, I get furious!!
Old 05-04-2011, 06:06 AM

In sales for years in the home party scene, I would just stop talking and wait for them to be quiet. When they realized it was them I was waiting on, all conversations stopped. Worked every time.
Now as president of our guild, using a microphone with speakers or reading of reports and such helps out tremendously. It sort of gives you a control over things.
Hope this helps
Old 05-04-2011, 06:12 AM

We had several 80+ members of our church that would think they were whispering during church. We just learned to not sit near them.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Try these methods.

At the beginning of the meeting politely remind the members that the speaker will appreciate everyone's full attention and that during each topic covered there will be a period for questions and answers and that is the appropriate time for others to talk.

After covering a subject, remember to look up and around and ask for questions and comments. But then remember to keep the conversation on topic.

Sometimes all it takes is a glance in the direction of the talkers IF you can catch their eye. If not, don't be afraid to stop and say "excuse me Mary and Jane - is there something you need to add to the topic now?". It's a polite way to say "I heard you therefore it was disturbing" but at the same time give them an "out" if it was truely important to the topic.

Lastly, each speaker (if there is more than one) should speak loud enough to be heard by all. A strong voice is a good reminder to everyone else that someone else is indeed speaking at this moment. I personally have noticed a drastic reduction in "outside conversation" when a person with a strong speaking voice has the floor vs a person without. Call it "stage presence" or whatever ... it works.

It also helps if the speaker is standing unless talking to a group of less than 10.
Seem like excellent suggestions.

And very tactful - giving the detractors an "out" - at least once or twice - is a gracious thing to do.
I agree - the softer, less commanding voice used while speaking seems to attract sideways yakkers like nothing else. Usually, they're mumbling about not being able to hear or that the speaker is MONOTONE. I've NEVER found a strong speaker who didn't hold the attention (and couth) of the audience.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:26 AM

When things like that occur, our Prez stops talking to wait for the quiet. She just smiles and those who are talking are being watched by everyone...they look very foolish very quickly.l Our speakers do the same.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:35 AM

I think a lot of the problem is our nation's "Me" "Me" generation. The idea of respecting other people seems to have gotten lost. I know all of the offenders are not the younger people but many of them are the offenders. You see it everywhere. The things I see people let their children do in public places, church, theaters etc. my parents would have removed me from the room or event in less than 5 minutes. Rudeness has become the norm rather than the exception. It makes you wonder what goes on with their children in their homes.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:46 AM

I would begin something new that would require each member get up in front of the guild to speak for a couple of minutes. This would give each member the chance to see what it is like to have someone talk during their time.
Congratulations on your new position, it will frustrate you at times and will be very rewarding too.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:46 AM

Have no suggestions, but please keep us informed. Would like to know how it turns out.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lena1952
Over the past few years I have noticed a tendency toward rudeness during our meetings. Members talk during a speaker, during the general meeting and not quietly.
Here's what I would do: I have a small Zen chime that has a very pleasant and long sound when struck (see picture). Each meeting, a person gets "custody" of the chime, with instructions to ring it whenever the talking, etc., becomes intrusive. I would put members' names in a bag and pull a name out for each meeting. That way, the responsibility for good manners is shared, the "reminder" is not harsh-sounding, and hopefully, members will know when their chit-chatting passes the threshold of 'rudeness.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAw#ps-sellers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-192676.jpe
Views:	54
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	192682