Our new kitten!!

Old 05-05-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
We did this two years ago with an almost identical little guy. After we fed him we put him in the sink and stimulated him with a warm wet wash cloth. he had some constipation issues and had to have a vet enema, but after we got that squared away he was fine. Now he is 18 lbs and as spoiled as any cat on the planet. He loves water now too. The milk you use is important. THe Vet told us to stop using the powdered stuff I got at Walmart and to use KMR. It worked wonders on our little guy though it is kind of expensive. There are home recipes on line too. We didn't try that. The only other advice I give you is to find some leather garden gloves. In a few weeks you are going to need them. LOL Good luck.
The leather glove idea is a great one but I just started clipping the tips of their nails right away so that they wouldn't be bothered by it. Just barely the tips though!

It gets them used to having their paws handled and I also would look into ears and mouths just to have them used to it. Teddi is very good about having her ears cleaned, pedicures and tooth brushing.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:37 AM

Here is the recipe from cathealthcare.com. It does go on to say this is not as good as KMR.

One envelope knox unflavored gelatin should be mixed in 12 oz. boiling water. Then add the following ingredients-

1 egg yolk
1 table spoons light corn syrup
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 12 oz. can evaporated canned milk

Mix all the contents in a mixer to get dissolved completely. Store it in a refrigerator in a covered bowl. You can keep this stuff for seven days. It adds between 15-20 grams on kittens a day.

This gloop recipe finds it way in saving more than one sick or orphan kitten. I heard wonderous stories from the owners used this recipe for their cats.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:46 AM

Oh, awwwww! Kittens are always cute, but he is utterly adorable. I just love the face in that top photo.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:27 AM

Adorable. I have a soft spot for tabbies.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:52 AM

I would love to keep him but don't know if we will or not yet. My DH has a soft spot for him so I'm thinking I can talk him into it.
Thanks for the ideas and recipes. I will have to try them out.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:00 AM

DH and I told our DD when we brought him into the house that he WILL NOT BE STAYING!!!!! Well when 12 weeks passed I found him a new home and DD went to DH and boohooed and they called a family meeting. I was out voted and he is now our owner. I don't think you will have much talking to do. LOL
Old 05-06-2011, 07:25 PM

We just put out a litter box and our kitten went naturally to it. Hope this works for you as well.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by AlyssaR

Anyone have a great way to litter box train a kitten?

Yes, we always used to make a box for the kitten to sleep in, and then cut it so it has a one way opening- right into a litterbox. As they went out to explore, they walked across the litter and then stopped to use it!

Easy as pie. As they return just to use the litterbox, and then run off to play again, you know they are trained.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
Here is the recipe from cathealthcare.com. It does go on to say this is not as good as KMR.

One envelope knox unflavored gelatin should be mixed in 12 oz. boiling water. Then add the following ingredients-

1 egg yolk
1 table spoons light corn syrup
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 12 oz. can evaporated canned milk
Our vet gave us a similiar, but much simpler recipe: one raw egg mixed in with a can of evaporated milk.

The yogurt makes sense because of the digestive enzymes, but the mayonaise is just more egg or oil, and the corn syrup is just extra sugar.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:13 PM

Oh what a sweet lil kitty. I wish I could have one too. But alas, no more furry babies. I have horrible hives when around any furry kids :-( I sure do miss that.