Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Endless pattern stash! >

Endless pattern stash!

Endless pattern stash!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:02 AM

I too cut and clip what I like and put them into a notebook. I have done this for YEARS with other 'craft' ideas too. Cuts down on extra magazines, and time from flipping through all the magazines to find 'the one' I am looking for.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Wonnie
I'll tell you what I did several years ago. I purchased a large looseleaf notebook, a box of plastic page protectors from Sam's club and a pack of computer paper and I started going through each of my many boxes of patterns, how-to's as well as magazines that had something in them I just HAD to keep! And in the evenings, while watching TV, I started going through the items one by one and pitching those things I knew I would NEVER use. Then, at random, I started cutting out the things I knew I would use along with their instructions if any available and, using a glue stick to hold it to the background of computer paper, just barely tapped the back of each item just enough to hold it in place until I could insert it into a plastic protector. What I ended up with is something that resembles a magazine but full of just those things that appealed to me. Might even throw in a recipe or two. Sometimes I would even throw in a picture of a great room I'd like to duplicate some day. Well, long story short, over time, I now have 4 books of just fun things, 2 quilt books ( I looked through the magazines and maybe only really found one pattern I truly loved so cut it out along with the directions and pitched the book) and 2 for recipes. It works GREAT for me because in the evening now I have fun looking through them and, best of all, I not only am constantly inspired, I can actually FIND what I'm looking for!
Hi Wonnie,

I love your idea!!! I have too many magazines to sort through each time I want something from one of them. I had thought about cutting things out, but the teacher/librarian in me wouldn't let me cut up perfectly good magazines. Well, you have inspired me to go ahead and get the things I want organized and to let the rest go to recycling. Then I will have two more drawers to store more fabric. It will be a win win situation. Thanks. :)
Old 05-07-2011, 02:51 AM

Of course, those patterns are hard to resist at the moment, and hard to find, when wanted. I have spent quiet a bit of time this week hunting for a particular table runner-place mat pattern, I do know how to find it, I will cut up the fabric for a different pattern, and that should do it. Right? piecefully, the old one
Old 05-07-2011, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
I tend to hoard the free one vis PDF on my puter.... I try to save them in catogories that work with my blonde brain.
I never was a blonde (and there's snow on the rooftop now) but I think "blonde." So could you tell me how you categorize your patterns. I've got volumes of binders full of patterns. You see< when it comes to saving on the computer, I'm a total dunce. So I print and stack. Then I put them in binders. There is such madness to my "system."
Old 05-07-2011, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by bluteddi
I tend to hoard the free one vis PDF on my puter.... I try to save them in catogories that work with my blonde brain.
I never was a blonde (and there's snow on the rooftop now) but I think "blonde." So could you tell me how you categorize your patterns. I've got volumes of binders full of patterns. You see< when it comes to saving on the computer, I'm a total dunce. So I print and stack. Then I put them in binders. There is such madness to my "system."
Gosh, I guess the first thing I'd say is, if it were me, I'd go through your binders and, literally pitch the patterns you know you're not going to use in your lifetime....things that sounded good at the time but, on second survey, just aren't that spectacular. Then I'd put the things I wanted to save inside the loose leaf notebook inside of page protectors. I have stopped all my magazines except for one and when it comes in I read it and sometimes there's nothing in it I want to save so I get rid of it. I like the other members advice as to putting the things you no longer want in a basket at a garage sale and maybe just putting "FREE" on it. I personally don't like storing it in my computer because I don't constantly want to keep going to the computer for something but, that's just me.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:39 AM

Recently i went through my quilt magazines and just kept the patterns i liked but so many patterns have the same name put them in plastic protecters and took the others to a thrift store
Old 05-07-2011, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lavada
Recently i went through my quilt magazines and just kept the patterns i liked but so many patterns have the same name put them in plastic protecters and took the others to a thrift store
Yeah! :thumbup:
Old 05-07-2011, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lavada
Yeah! :thumbup:
Old 05-07-2011, 04:03 AM

oh yes, never can locate the exact pattern I am looking for. But then I do tend to save patterns from magazines etc. Clip them and put in a file and hopefully put them in by category. However--often put them in the wrong one, but then do get to see whats in a file as I look for what I want. grin
Old 05-07-2011, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie
I'll tell you what I did several years ago. I purchased a large looseleaf notebook, a box of plastic page protectors from Sam's club and a pack of computer paper and I started going through each of my many boxes of patterns, how-to's as well as magazines that had something in them I just HAD to keep! And in the evenings, while watching TV, I started going through the items one by one and pitching those things I knew I would NEVER use. Then, at random, I started cutting out the things I knew I would use along with their instructions if any available and, using a glue stick to hold it to the background of computer paper, just barely tapped the back of each item just enough to hold it in place until I could insert it into a plastic protector. What I ended up with is something that resembles a magazine but full of just those things that appealed to me. Might even throw in a recipe or two. Sometimes I would even throw in a picture of a great room I'd like to duplicate some day. Well, long story short, over time, I now have 4 books of just fun things, 2 quilt books ( I looked through the magazines and maybe only really found one pattern I truly loved so cut it out along with the directions and pitched the book) and 2 for recipes. It works GREAT for me because in the evening now I have fun looking through them and, best of all, I not only am constantly inspired, I can actually FIND what I'm looking for!
That is a awesome idea thanks for the tip.