Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Machine Quilting Frame by Ken Lund >

Machine Quilting Frame by Ken Lund

Machine Quilting Frame by Ken Lund

Old 03-10-2010, 03:46 PM

Hi! I am new to this forum, and recently I purchased a frame from Ken Lund. I am amazed at the thought that went into the construction. I am currently working on my first quilt on this frame, but having quite a few problems with broken needles. I am on my second pass with the machine, and I have broken 10 needles in two days. I am sure it is something I am doing wrong. I will continue to keep you posted on the results. I do have a Grace frame which is not compatible with using my quilting machine.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:48 PM

I also own that Lund frame. I really like how he set it up myself and that is is so easy to take down. I did make a few changes myself to make it quick and easy to take down/set up fast.
I use a Juki TL98Q machine with it mostly. I found that if I use a bit heavier needle, exp. Schmetz 100/16, I have no problem with broken needles and I tend to travel a bit slower when quilting than maybe most people do.
I hope that helps.
Wow, just saw that you are also in Indiana!
Also just wanted to add, make sure your frame and machine are level! makes a big difference.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:44 PM

Just wanted to BUMP this topic as I am now interested in it as well and hoping there are a few others who have experience on this to give input before I make it my Mother Day gift wish!
Old 03-17-2010, 04:01 AM

On the broken needles - yes, use a larger size (16 or preferably an 18)...and move your machine more slowly. Moving it faster than the needle is going up and down is what is causing your needles to break :)

Also, if someone is looking for a frame, a great idea is to search Google Groups using the frame name such as Grace or Handiquilter and join them. Almost all of them have a database where the members are selling used frames for much less than retail. Many people are selling right now due to upgrades and/or loss of interest and/or the economy. Also it helps in doing your background research as you can find out so much about them - the good, the bad, the ugly :)

Hope this helps. (When searching for Handiquilter, make sure you read that it's the frame group, not the machine group.)
Old 03-22-2010, 02:16 PM

Hi and welcome from Oklahoma.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:14 PM

how are you liking your Ken Lund quilting frame?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Google Goddess

Welcome, waving from central Indiana USA :) :)
Old 05-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Power Poster

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!
Old 05-06-2011, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Minnesota and happy quilting.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Angelmerritt
Just wanted to BUMP this topic as I am now interested in it as well and hoping there are a few others who have experience on this to give input before I make it my Mother Day gift wish!
I did receive the frame for Mothers Day but had difficulty with the carriage being too wiggly and not offering me the precision I had hoped for. I asked DH to upgrade the wheels to steel ones on a metal track (instead of the rubber wheels on the wood frame) but the frame sat for a year. I recently sold it to a gal who's husband instantly did the upgrades and she likes it quite a bit.