Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dog destroying mattresses- need your help >

Dog destroying mattresses- need your help

Dog destroying mattresses- need your help

Old 05-09-2011, 06:16 PM

I'm not a fan of dogs in the bed or even the bedroom. Dogs rely partly on physical position to determine rank in the pack. A dog off the floor and physically on the same level as his master can result in dominance problems. Think about how dogs play "king of the hill". It is clearly a dominance game.

Crate training Hoody is the best option. A nice, roomy crate that will play on his canine instincts to find a nice, safe, secret den. All nice things should happen in the crate. He should be fed, given treats, etc inside the crate. No bad things should ever happen when he is in the crate. When Hoody goes to his crate on his own, no one should mess with him no matter how mad they are at him. It is to be his very own safe place. The crate can even be placed on the floor right next to your son's bed so Hoody still has the closeness he craves. Hoody will be down on floor level, your son will be up high on the bed.....your son wins the "king of the hill" game in his sleep.

Second choice: put a smell on the bed that Hoody hates but would not deter human use. There are dog repellant sprays at pet stores.

Third choice: Provide Hoody with a nice, comfortable DOG BED and encourage him to use it. Then consult with a vet before setting a bunch of mouse traps (not rat traps) on top of the human bed and covering them lightly with sheets of newspaper. When Hoody tries to get on the human bed, mouse traps get set off, lots of noise happens, sheets of newspaper go flying up in the air, there is HUGE drama and mild scariness (dogs respect huge drama and mild scariness). Hoody reaches the conclusion that his dog bed is a much nicer, calmer place than the human bed. Note: mouse traps don't normally snap with enough force to injure big dogs especially with a sheet or two of newspaper on top, but arthritis in the feet might rule this tactic out. That is why the veterinarian should be consulted first. Rat traps might break toes or even amputate them!

Third choice: tie the dog outside your son's bedroom door and your son sleeps in his room with the door shut. Ignore all the whining. Consider talking to the vet about appropriate sedation for Hoody until he adjusts to his new position. Maybe sedate the human roomates, too, LOL!

In truth, I don't think dogs should sleep in the bedroom, much less in the bed with the humans. The exception would be a dog who is ill or injured and needs frequent attention during the night. (Even then, I prefer to put a sleeping mat next to the sick dog's crate and I will sleep on the floor next to it.) One of the jobs of a dog is to protect his owner and alert him to possible danger. A dog can do that much more effectively if it's closer to entry points for intruders. Besides, things happen in human adult beds that dogs might misinterpret or want to participate in.

I guess I'm lucky that I prefer a mattress that is only slightly softer than a concrete floor, so my dogs generally only get on the bed once and then rapidly abandon it for a more comfortable spot. I think if I put my dogs on my bed and told them to stay there, they might think they were being punished for something.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by rushdoggie
Have him buy old covers at Goodwill and when he leaves, put the old cover on and fold up his good one and put it away, when he gets home he can swap it. Any claw marks can be repaired with an iron on patch, and then his nice things will stay nice.
I was going to suggest this too - fold up the good quilt, and replace with a blanket or something through the day. If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, you have to learn a few yourself!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:24 PM

Given Hoody's age, I agree with buying an old comforter or even canvas cover to throw on the bed during the day. Kudos to your son and to you for saying that giving up Hoody is not an option. Too many people see animals as disposable!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

the roommates may also be an issue - - -

I think making ON the bed uncomfortable and a really comfy place on the floor or somewhere off the bed might be an option.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:42 PM

I had a friend visit for an extended time and her little dog decided it like to jump on my couch and dig. So I put empty cardboard boxes on it so there was no room for her to jump on there. He could try something like that, it don't have to be boxes it could be suitcases or something like that.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:01 PM

Unfortunately there is not enough space in his bedroom for a crate. My son lives in a very small but old house where, with the exception of the tiny kitchen and bathroom, all rooms have been converted to bedrooms. There is no common area that Hoody can be in during the day. There is no backyard space either. His only option is the bedroom with the door closed. He walks the dog every morning and a lot after work. Hoody only sleeps on the bed when my son is at work or gone for any other reasons. He has that comfy bed on the floor but chooses the bed when son is gone, probably because it has son's scent. So he's going to try the heavy blanket idea first and if that doesn't work will try canvas tarp. So I guess it's up to him now. I've passed on all the options to him. Will let you know how it turns out.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:32 PM

I have 2 big dogs who sleep on the bed. I have some old extra blankets that are theirs on the bed that they wad all up & kick around & make their "nests" out of. When they decide they have them "perfect" they lay down & go to sleep. Maybe your son could try that & see if it would help. Since I wash all the blankets ALOT on this bed, I don't know if he'll ever be able to have & keep a really nice quilt on the bed without it showing wear. I usually just put a nice one on this bed when I have company & then go back to using an old one for everyday use.
I wonder if something made out of heavy fleese would work as a bedspread to cover up the bed with first & tuck in between mattress & box spring & then the old blankets for the dog to make his nest out of?
Old 05-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Joanie2
Just spoke with my son. Should have checked here first. I like the idea of the carpet runners. Not sure my son would though. He says Hoody stays in his own bed at night or when he is home. But when he's not Hoody sleeps on the bed. He doesn't think Hoody can be trained at his age. I don't know since I haven't had dogs in 40 years. He did say that he has these heavy Hispanic blankets that a very dense that Hoody has not seemed to poke through. He thinks he's going to give that a try -- he'll buy a king size one for about $40 and it will do double duty. Thanks for your helpful ideas. I will continue to pass them on.
yes, he can be trained, and the rug runners do work! even at 11 he knows right from wrong!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:43 PM

I would just fold up all the bedding leaving only a sheet to cover the mattress.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:15 PM

My friend whose sweet but very active pit bull puppy stays in her camper while she is at work only has problems with things being damaged if Mal seems to think she is gone "too long".
Maybe if the morning exercise time were extended a bit that might help too?