Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • How do I get rid of mildew in featherweight case? >
  • How do I get rid of mildew in featherweight case?

• How do I get rid of mildew in featherweight case?

Old 05-10-2011, 04:19 AM

Hydrogen peroxide might work also. It's basically the same principle as the alcohol solution. Half water, half hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. Good luck!
    Old 05-10-2011, 09:21 AM

My apologies to the board for mis-quoting Dave McCallum, I own the DVD's & book. It's been a few years since I repaired my case, but I truly wouldn't have believed he would have used 200 watts. I stand corrected; and hope my brain's not fading too fast.

It's the other life experience with electricity that probably influenced my conclusion. I would be wary of leaving any cord within that proximity to 200 watts for 8 hours in a closed up space; and certainly not unattended; but I assume many have successfully done so. I wouldn't use a plastic lampholder base, ever. My husband's the in high voltage electrical field, I was in the industrial engineering field myself.
    Old 05-10-2011, 09:24 AM

I put a dryer sheet in with my machine and leave it there, it helps.
    Old 05-10-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by cabinfever
    My apologies to the board for mis-quoting Dave McCallum, I own the DVD's & book. It's been a few years since I repaired my case, but I truly wouldn't have believed he would have used 200 watts. I stand corrected; and hope my brain's not fading too fast.

It's the other life experience with electricity that probably influenced my conclusion. I would be wary of leaving any cord within that proximity to 200 watts for 8 hours in a closed up space; and certainly not unattended; but I assume many have successfully done so. I wouldn't use a plastic lampholder base, ever. My husband's the in high voltage electrical field, I was in the industrial engineering field myself.
    No..I did the same thing. 200W seemed like an awful lot. I'm trying everything else before I take that route. I understand the principle, but I'm concerned with the consequences if there is a failure.

I may have found a commercial product that did the trick but I'll wait a bit before reporting back. I only used it this morning.
    Old 06-01-2011, 09:01 PM

wash with Hydrogen peroxide full straight, emts use it to kill germs after a run. mildew is behind the fabric also. wear gloves and mask. then bust up your charcoal for more coverage and close it inside before reapplying the fabric.
    you need to get down to the source.
    the peroxide kills mold when it is exposed to it.
    the charcoal will take the smell away.
    Old 06-01-2011, 09:05 PM

I watched an antique show once that said spray vodka on moldy smelly furniture and let it sit ~ it gets rid of the smell !
    Old 11-07-2011, 07:26 AM

WAs wondering what in the end worked for you, now 6 months later. I got the same problem!
    Old 11-07-2011, 08:42 AM

Fabrez makes a closet freshner, I wipe out the box with a lysol sprayed cloth, and then put it in the sun for a couple of days. Some boxes retain the "motor oil" aroma from the machine. Also, when you are storing your ladies, keep the box propped open a bit to keep air circulating.

Originally Posted by quilt3311
    I put several dryer sheets inside and left it for a week, ten opened and set in direct sunlight for several days. It worked and got rid of all the musty smell. Keep a dryer sheet in the bottom now. hope that helps.
    Old 11-07-2011, 09:04 AM

Wondering how you did get rid of the spores and the odor. I do NOT want to add another fragrance to the smell by trying to mask it with the soaps, etc. (allergies) I had luck removing cigarette smells from books by placing in a paper bag and adding cat litter (not the ones with the fragrances) and letting set for a few days.