Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
irons--will the teflon bottom get glidier??? >

irons--will the teflon bottom get glidier???

irons--will the teflon bottom get glidier???

Old 05-10-2011, 06:52 AM

When my iron sticks, teflon or not, I run it on a piece of wax paper and it really 'slicks' it up. "try it, You'll like it"!
Old 05-10-2011, 06:53 AM

When my iron sticks, teflon or not, I run it on a piece of wax paper and it really 'slicks' it up. "try it, You'll like it"!
Old 05-10-2011, 06:54 AM

Teflon or not, while hot, run it on some wax paper and it really slicks it up quickly
Old 05-10-2011, 07:17 AM

Read this month's issue of Consumer Reports. It rates several models of irons, and states that iron with teflon soles plates do not glide as well as stainless ones. So leave the telfon to your fry pans and dental floss.

Happy Scissoring!
Scissorman
Old 05-11-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Beebonnet
I'm on my third iron in about a year and a half. 2 Rowentas and now a cheapy off beat brand. The Rowentas started leaking like sieves. The last one just ran water all over. What a mess. They never did produce much steam, then just went to the leaking thing. I had a great old Rowenta for years before the bad ones. You took the reservoir off to fill it. I loved that iron, but it finally gave up the ghost. The new one has a stainless steel sole plate, it steams pretty good, does not have auto off, and is small and lightweight. It feels like the 20 dollars I paid, but at least it works. What is the matter with irons these days??
What's the matter with EVERYTHING these days? Made in China, or Bangladesh or......................
I bought an oster can opener several months ago which could not open cans. I returned it with a letter and last week I received an email, they're sending me another at no charge. I'm afraid it will be just another piece of junk.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 PM

I own a Euro Steam evolution. It is the best iron that I have ever owned. I payed $200.00 for it and it has been worth every penny. I have owned it for 1 1/2 years and it is the best iron I have ever owned. I hate to iron and told the rep that was demoing it at a craft show. I told him that if it did everything that he said it would that I would buy it, but that I had to try it out for myself as they are taught all the tricks to market it and make it look good. He had me do everything while he did the demo for everyone who was watching. I can iron anything and everything with it, including silk, wool, and rayon. I can use it dry or steam. I can steam while something is on a hanger no problem. Some of you may be shocked at expensive it is, but for me it has been worth it.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by sabaker39
I have a Rowenta that I have had for years. I did have trouble with water leaking. After reading the instruction book that came with my iron, I use 1 gallon of distilled water and 1 gallon of regular water and make 2 gallons of a mix. I have had no problems since doing that. Just a thought.
My new Rowenta says not to use distilled water, nor tap water that's hard or rusty, nor softened water. I was thinking what water are they referring to then. I was told by rep to use a bottled spring water. We'll see...probably a wasted $100 (on sale from $160), but still shouldn't be so persnickety should it? I bought it for the steam capability, so hope I don't have the classic water leakage problem too soon.
Still can't figure out why the iron should be so touchy about using distilled water. I do understand if there is a core of copper why you wouldn't want to use softened water due to salt; when combined with heat will speed the effects of corrosion.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchit123
I ve got a Rival teflon it glides pretty good but its to light it won't de-wrinkle tissue paper so I went back to my Gramma's iron that I've been using for 50yrs+ its a Procter/Silex with a cloth cord its got some serious weight and the settings are still true No more new irons for me You can still fnd the oldies in 2nd hand stores for a couple dollars and live another 50 yrs
I have a few old flat irons with no holes as well, and they get very hot, so watch what you're ironing with them and that there's no poly...found out the hard way on a blended fabric. When it turns, it's too late...just a stiff mangled pile. Still, I love the reliability of the old irons, and found one of mine at a thrift store too.

BTW, I would be careful about leaving any cloth cord plugged in when turned off. They are not grounded as a rule (no 3rd prong), and it there's a short, you will have a quick fire. At least if it happens when you're ironing you will be aware of the problem & not sleeping or away. Pets used to like to chew on them also.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by cabinfever
My new Rowenta says not to use distilled water, nor tap water that's hard or rusty, nor softened water. I was thinking what water are they referring to then. I was told by rep to use a bottled spring water. We'll see...probably a wasted $100 (on sale from $160), but still shouldn't be so persnickety should it? I bought it for the steam capability, so hope I don't have the classic water leakage problem too soon.
Still can't figure out why the iron should be so touchy about using distilled water. I do understand if there is a core of copper why you wouldn't want to use softened water due to salt; when combined with heat will speed the effects of corrosion.
The corrosion from softened water wouldn't really be from the salt, there is very minute amounts of salt left after it cycles. The problem is water itself is very corrosive and wants to collect the minerals it comes in contact with, which is how water gets hard in the 1st place. And distilled water would have the same problem...
as for using bottled spring water, that just puzzles me. It's just water - no different than the water coming from your tap other than it's from somewhere else - with the exception of added chlorine, which you can off gas by just letting it sit in an open container for a day or two.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:42 AM

Thanks "Shnnn" for the reminder regarding off-gassing the chlorine from the water, as I hadn't thought about this for a long time.
Since I have very hard water, with white scale if left untreated, our tap water is unacceptable. I had originally thought that Distilled Water would be better, but Rowenta warned against that. After having read a little further regarding galvanic corrosion when constructing something using multiple metals, I see why distilled water could be a problem. Not that any of you really want to read this but, I suspect this is why no Distilled Water in their irons: under "Condition 3. The metal junction must be bridged by an electrolyte" http://www.corrosionist.com/Galvanic_Corrosion.htm

I assume spring water is just someone else's tap water (extra cost to me), not as bad as mine. Yet it would still be a conductor, so not as bad at attacking the seams on the inside of an iron. I suspect this may an issue for leaking irons.
I guess you're right about there being low salt after the softener, but perhaps for the same reason as distilled, the softener has taken too many minerals out & left the water less conductive.

BTW, I have one Teflon-coated iron and really don't prefer it over a smooth stainless steel surface. I am curious if anyone has tried the "quick pass over the wax paper" idea with a hot Teflon iron? Might make is slipperier.