Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what started your quilting obsession >

what started your quilting obsession

what started your quilting obsession

Old 05-10-2011, 12:01 PM

I don't quite have a quilting obession, I've never had a place to quilt. I just started making quilts for myself-15 years ago-a different quilt for each month to cover my bed. I use to sew 3-4 quilts year but since my health took me of track for a while It's been about 1 a year. But the main reason for my quilting has been using my stash-I've been buying material for more than 20 years-loving the color/feel/coordination-whatever the reason I just finally one day decided to use it, the first cut has always been hard-always thinking maybe a better pattern/matching material would come along. Even the materials bought for one purpose has changed mainly times before it was actually used. So I don't really have an obession, it's more like a procrastination instead :)
Old 05-10-2011, 12:13 PM

I saw a tumbling blocks quilt pattern and had to make one for a hoped for grandchild. I cut all the blocks and put it together, didn't know that pattern was not for beginners! That was about 20 years ago and have learned lots since then, especially from this board.
perky2
Old 05-10-2011, 12:19 PM

I started because I was trying to become more involved in my church, and some ladies started a quilting group. We would meet at the church and sew simple quilts to give to the homeless shelter. My first quilt ever went to a child for Christmas at the homeless shelter!! I had a lapse from when I was involved with that, but I am now going strong!! Sadly, I no longer attend that church, but I will always be thankful to the ladies that were involved with the group and so kind and helpful to me!!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:24 PM

I took my first sewing class in Ann Arbor, Michigan, back in the late 60's... Uncle Sam decided to draft "married" men and my husband went into the Army and I never got to finish my class! I did go on with some sewing but was always "attracted" to quilts-my Aunt Edna quilted when I was little and my Mom sewed. In recent years, my interest was so great I started checking around for local quilt classes and found one nearby at a vocational center. Have been taking classes and enjoying membership in a guild since. Love it. I just think there is a "spiritual connection" in quilts you don't get anywhere else!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:28 PM

My obsession started when my sister was dying with cancer. She suffered for two long years. After she passed away, I needed something to occupy my time, because she called me each and every Saturday morning at 6a.m. So, I looked for a new hobby and a co-worker suggested quilting to keep me sane. I have been hooked since then and now each time I sit to quilt I think of my sister!! It's kinda like we still have "our time" together!!
Old 05-10-2011, 02:42 PM

I have been sewing since I was 8 or 10 years old. We used to play with moms sewing machine and make doll clothes etc. I sewed clothing for years. I thought about quilting but never did one. My mom was making purses and I decided to make one. I went to buy purse fabric. I looked at it laying on my sewing machine and for some reason decided it looked like quilt fabric. I went to a quilt shop and found a pattern. My first quilt was a paper pieced quilt out of the 50 paper pieced stars book. It is a queen sized.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:57 PM

A very, very snowy winter about 1 1/2 years ago. Decided to drag my sewing machine out of the closet. Not that I had ever really sewed before, but I had bought a simple sewing machine in the early 80's to repair my kids clothing & make a few Halloween costumes. I had not used that machine in years. But, I had cabin fever that snowy winter & found a "free" pattern for a rail fence on-line. I bought my fabric and from then on I've been hooked. I found this board which greatly helps me with all my questions. Then I bought another machine with drop feed to learn FMQ. Now I dream of a long arm...ha.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:59 PM

I have been sewing for years, since I was small - doll clothes etc. Mom taught me to do embroidary and crochet. She did some applique and piecing but after we kids went to bed. Mostly she did quilts for covers, not for art. We never had blankets except for electric blankets when it was really cold. It took me many tries to teach myself to make a quilt. Finally I took some classes and it really took off. Mom still makes quilts with embroidered blocks for her church quilting group. At least one a month, and she still asks me often, Why do you need so much fabric? I just laugh. You either get it or you don't.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:59 PM

I will proudly be 65 tomorrow! [quote]

Hi, Emerald 46. We share the same birthday. I also turned 65 today May 10!

M.Elizabeth
Old 05-10-2011, 04:39 PM

It is genetic for me. Both sides of my family come from long lines of quilters. Altho my mother never quilted ... she did not like to sew at all. But she was a wonderful, self-taught gourmet cook. I do not recall ever taking a class, started sewing when I was about 7 ... the quilting came along some time after that. My Granny always told me I was the one gr-child she least expected to like quilting ... but I did!! (I think she said that to me be I was such a tomboy.)