Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what triggers your HA/migraines? >

what triggers your HA/migraines?

what triggers your HA/migraines?

Old 05-10-2011, 03:01 PM

On the slim chance someone will get something from this:

23 years ago I had an unplanned baby (13 mos after having his sister)
10 days later I was hospitalized with what we later found out was a migraine, and sky high blood pressure. After a few months of trying different meds, I was put on Amytryptilene, taken at night.

I'm still on it, and I have not had a migraine if 23 yrs, though there were a few times I'd get a BAM on the right side of my head, knowing within 24 hours my period would start. Just one BAM.

Found out, after doing my own research, my brain had serotonin, just not available to it. The drug is called a serotonin reuptake inhibitor. I have tried various other antidepressants over the years, and always come back to this old one, because it works.

It's all related to my hormones, I always say I'm just a slve to my hormones (good and bad)
Old 05-10-2011, 03:02 PM

My son (age 11) also gets migraines and has had abdominal migraines (anyone recognize that?) The doc's say the first thing should be caffine and sugar (Pepsi or Coca Cola) and THEN med's if needed. His nausea is that bad that Gravol does not work and he takes perscription med's for it. So far, so good! Now if I could just control mine so easily! 5 out of the last 8 days have been bad...:(
Old 05-10-2011, 03:23 PM

the weather changing
Old 05-10-2011, 03:31 PM

With the optical migraine, it looks like I'm looking through water, words swim on the page, shards of lights.
-------------------------------------------
Now that's one I've never heard of before. I thought that I'd heard of them all, since I've been extremely interested in migraines for most of my life. This forum is pretty close to
being a medical help page! Good for us all to know what others are doing for our pains.

I kept, and still have some strong pain pills in my medicine cabinet, just in case. Every time I go to the doctor I ask for a half dozen strong pills and always get them. I last went to a doctor in about 2005 I think, probably time to go again. Only have 2 pain pills left, they are so strong I do not allow myself to drive within 4 or 5 hours after taking them. I'm very sensitive to drugs, so only take vitamins, minerals and herbs.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:47 PM

Me, too.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by greenini
not so sure about triggers, but once they start we love Maxalt...stops those suckers dead, even right in the middle of an aura. both of us get them on occasion, dh more then me.
What is Maxalt and where do you get it, prescription or over the counter. My daughter has terrible migraines and has for years. Thanks
Old 05-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pam H
I have most of the triggers listed here. I have suffered from migraines for over 30 years. At times I have them 4-6 days a week. When on preventative meds I only have them 1-2 days a week. That is while also watching everything I eat and making sure to eat often enough and not getting overheated and getting enough sleep and trying to avoid all my other triggers.
I took Imitrex for 10 years and have now taken Relpax for 5 years. These drugs have totally changed my life. To be able to function somewhat and not suffer from a migraine for 3 days is a true miracle.
I take Relpax also--helps so much. At least I can function. Was wondering if anyone else has tingling in hands and/or feet or fuzzy feeling in your face. I often have the face numbness before the actual pain sets in.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:09 PM

stress, weather/rain, hunger, standing in the sun without head covering.
I agree with the weather, worked with a guy who thought I was nuts when I said I had a headache because of the rain. After 6 months or so, he agreed it gave him migraines also.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:10 PM

bright light-especially flashes,chocolate, wine, cheese, stress,weather change and sometimes caffeine--which is weird because caffeine can help them feel better. sometimes allergies if i'm affected enough.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:16 PM
dd

Originally Posted by sgraves1959
Originally Posted by greenini
not so sure about triggers, but once they start we love Maxalt...stops those suckers dead, even right in the middle of an aura. both of us get them on occasion, dh more then me.
What is Maxalt and where do you get it, prescription or over the counter. My daughter has terrible migraines and has for years. Thanks
Maxalt, Relpax, Imitrex, all prescription. Should see a reputable neurologist if it's that bad. They are not all created equal. You might want to ask around for a referral from friends or primary dr for a good neurologist.