Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What am I doing wrong? >

What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing wrong?

Old 05-10-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mo_Chride
I was also told that longarmers won't take trimmed quilts and the UFOs I have are trimmed down to the correct finished size.Tara
The backing and batting needs to be 6-8 inches larger (length and width) then the top - on a longarm the quilts creep from the quilting and we need something to attach to the leaders on the frame. You could add a bit of different or same material to two sides (different adds interest to the backing) to get it the right size.

On your bobbin - I only quilt on a longarm, so I would say that you are getting backlash - that is when the bobbin is spinning (twice as fast as the needle is going), you slow down and the bobbin keeps going too fast, giving you too much thread creating a nest. There is a little disc called a Bobbin Genie that you add to your bobbin case and that helps your bobbin to respond better to changes in speed of sewing and prevents backlash.

Hope you get this figured out...frustrating to the max when quilting doesn't go right!
Old 05-10-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mo_Chride

I'll just be sewing along just fine and all of a sudden I get a nest. No rhyme or reason for when they occur as far as I can tell except that it seems to happen in the last third to quarter of the bobbin.

Oh, and as to what stage of trimming my current UFOs are in... well...ummmm.... in my defense I only found out recently that at least the QP say you shouldn't do this and I still have no idea why it matters if you are doing the quilting yourself but...

Okay, I'll admit it. All four of my UFOs ONLY need to be quilted. Literally. All four have the binding already sewn on. One of them only needs the FMQ on the border. I only learned to FMQ about a year ago and only actually did any FMQ on a "real quilt" versus just a practice sandwich a few months ago. .......

Tara
Sometimes just changing the presser foot can cause a problem. If you went from one darning foot to another, say, for greater visibility, try going back to the original foot.

The reason you don't want to trim your quilts before FMQ is so you have something to hold onto when stitching, especially if you are quilting out to the edge.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:41 PM

Since you recently had your machine cleaned and tuned, If it were me, and my quilt, I would stop NOW and take the machine and the quilt, with the above pictured "nest" RIGHT IMMEDIATELY to the place I bought it and say "FIX this, and FIX it RIGHT NOW, WHILE I WAIT (please). All of us can give you advice, and great advice at that, but your dealer is the only one who can really diagnose and fix that problem.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:16 PM

I agree with Gaigai, I hate to do machine quilting!

I do my best, to help the economy, by supporting my local long arm quilter(s).
Old 05-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

Tara, I can feel your pain. You just want to sew and nothing is working for you. All the above-mentioned ideas on this thread are great to check, but if it still doesn't work, you really need to take it back to whoever serviced your machine. It's probably just something simple that isn't quite right. Good luck and please let us all know how it was fixed!
Old 05-10-2011, 03:58 PM

is your presser foot down. I alway forget to put is down.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:46 PM

Your bobbin case should have an arrow on it for the correct direction of your bobbin. If you would pull up your bobbin thread (put your quilt under the presser foot like you are going to start sewing) through the fabric - hold onto your top thread and slowly rotate your wheel until you see a loop of thread come up from the bottom - pull it out and then you can hold both the top thread and the bottom thread as you start to sew and you will eliminate the thread nests once and for all. Works EVERY time.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:01 PM

I have a Viking Sapphire 870 and when I use the walking foot I have to lower the pressure foot tension. It says to do this in the instructions that came with the walking foot. If I don't do this I never know what I'll find on the back. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:19 PM

Make sure to either hold the top thread firmly when you start or tuck it under your pressure foot so the pressure of the foot in the down position holds it firmly. This should prevent most nests as the thread isn't loose to become a nest.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:29 PM

Minkee could be part of your problem. I heard it is really a problem to quilt.