Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need opinions please of border block >

Need opinions please of border block

Need opinions please of border block

Old 05-11-2011, 03:25 AM

Thin border than the cat tracks.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
I think that the main paw section needs to be more rounded and the block smaller, that might be throwing the prints off and making it look odd to you. I like the idea though. just play around with it.
I agree, although I don't think the size of the block is the main problem. There are many corners of cat paws in the block. To my knowledge, cats don't have square paws. My suggestion would be that she applique the cat paws on that block. If she can't draw the design, she should go on line and find a Clip Art cat's paw that she can use.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
I think that the main paw section needs to be more rounded and the block smaller, that might be throwing the prints off and making it look odd to you. I like the idea though. just play around with it.
I agree, although I don't think the size of the block is the main problem. There are many corners of cat paws in the block. To my knowledge, cats don't have square paws. My suggestion would be that she applique the cat paws on that block. If she can't draw the design, she should go on line and find a Clip Art cat's paw that she can use.
Applique??? You must be mad...:) I'm trying to avoid that! :) :)
But it probably would be faster than cutting and piecing them like now. Not to mention more realistic. But I wasn't really after realism so much... just the idea of animal tracks. But the piecing of them (for me) is very slow so I think I will play with applique today and see if I can handle it.
Thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 04:13 AM

Hi Nadine, I like the paw prints! Perhaps if you were to strip piece them it would be easier to make them smaller? I don't know how many blocks you are going to make for the border, but if you were to spread the paw prints out you would need to make fewer, it wouldn't get to looking too busy, and if it were mine I would hang some kitty tails into the border. Right now they are missing on the kitties on the edge.
There's an awful lot of green in there... If it were mine I would try a brown narrow inner border to stop the eye and to separate the cats from the paw prints.
Perhaps try a soft (not bold) print with green and brown in the wide border where you piece the pawprints. Or what about finding a preprinted fabric with cat paw prints already on it?
When I need decisions like this I take a friend to my LQS and preview lots of fabrics till the right one stands out! And the ladies that work there are all knowledgeable and helpful too, I value their input a lot.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
I am making the borders for a tesselating cat quilt.
I thought I would make blocks of cat paw prints to run up both side borders.
Anyway, I've made a practice block of 3 paw prints.
I can't decide if I like it, although I don't know why.
What do you think? Continue with it or try something else?
I also thought maybe make the paw prints out of the same print fabrics that the cats are made out of? Would that be better?
Or should I just File 13 the whole idea completely?
Thanks--
Oops.... I just realized I should have posted this in Pictures. Sorry Patrice.
I think a 1 to 1 1/2 inch border between the cats and the paw prints to break it up some. Someone else mentioned this to.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:39 AM

Really like the quilt. I agree it needs a small (1" ?) border to separate from quilt. Too much dark together.

I'm working on a kitty quilt that just doesn't seem right so I just keep adding and working on it till I do like it. Added a small strip, emb "here kitty kitty" on border, might scallop the edges.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:46 AM

I would like to see more contrast between the border fabric and the paw prints. Other this that, I think it is a great idea and am looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:09 AM

AlwaysQuilting....

I think this is going to be a cute quilt.... what size?
I'd break up the paw prints a little more ... and separate them from the main quilt blocks with a medium border (fish print, watery print? ... )

My eye's problem is seeing the three cat's paws so close together .... I would probably stagger the two prints, then space a full space of solid green, and then stagger two more prints ... This would be the first "cat pacing" -- then I'd stagger two full green spaces spaces and then start two more staggered paw prints and space one green space and then do two more and then space two green spaces. This would be the second "cat pacing" .... does that make sense?

One cat pacing
x (paw print)
x (paw print)
space (solid green)
x (paw print)
x (paw print)
space(solid green)
space(solid green)
x (this starts the second cat pacing)
x
--- green
x
x
---green
---green
x (this starts the third cat pacing)
x
--green
x
x
--green
--green

Wow, this took longer to type than my initial flash of an idea ...you've probably had three pages of responses by now!
If someone else has mentioned this by now, sorry for the duplication...
I can't wait to see the finished quilt .... preview, maybe?
Old 05-11-2011, 05:21 AM

I like the paw prints and I think when you get several blocks finished and lay them end to end, it will be closer to what you originally imagined. Stay with the idea though. It will be great when it's done.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
Not sure why you'd be so concerned about the paws being being so realistic .... the cats are squared up, so the paw prints are OKd squared too!!

I think you are on the right track to add the inner border. Nothing wrong with the same dark green background to keep the continuity and flow. As for the paw contrast, yes in some ways it'd be nice, though I don't think you want the tracks to jump at everyone who sees the quilt. do you? First they see the cats, then the tracks are just a nice touch to frame it up ... subtle and connected to the focus. I'd keep with what you already have.

All, JIMHO! :)