Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dealing with remodel issues >

Dealing with remodel issues

Dealing with remodel issues

Old 05-11-2011, 08:44 AM

I thought I was the only one with the hots for Mike Holmes :lol:
Old 05-11-2011, 09:37 AM

We started the redo of new floors that lead to new doors inside which led to new paint inside which meant he needed a new shop outside all of which aren't finished. In June it will have been one year. DIYS husbands are a large pain...hard to fire...harder to live with without reverting to murder, which ,I have heard is a bad thing. I still think about it a lot.....
Old 05-11-2011, 09:53 AM

Well, here we go - the Bubba clown is on his way to do the last bath according to the owner. Hey at least she called this time to say he was coming!

She argued with me yesterday that the designer called me last week to confirm. I said no, no call and she said well she left a message. I said no, no message. Well, someone must have erased the message. Uh, no. It's my cell phone and no one else touches it!

Geez!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:06 AM

we had a forced remodel. our pipes froze and soaked into 5 rooms, including the kitchen the next day i was laid off, which turned out to be good because it took 9 months to complete the repairs/ restructuring. what with the drunk, the inexperienced and the pathological liars i'm surprised it's done now! and it only cost us $4,000 more than the insurance paid. looks really good if you close your eyes. on the plus side, the dogs and i have bonded ever closer as we spent all that time together in the bedroom, oh, and i did get the color paint i wanted. next time if it's not too wet i'll just set it on fire and take the dogs to the movies. they just adore popcorn!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:16 AM

Do not pay until you are satisfied. Did you check their reputation and previous custormers before you agreed to have the work done? Hope this all works out for you.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:04 PM

My son is a contractor and he always cleans up after himself at day's end everyday. He does beautiful, high-quality work. It is possible to get good contractors, but there are definitely some bozos out there, too.

My son just finished remodeling my daughter's kitchen and is going to start on our "Wreckroom" in the basement. Not looking forward to the inevitable mess and dust, but am anxious to having a new room sometime this summer.

I do hope all works out for you.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:06 PM

I must be one of the lucky ones. We had tile put in the kitchen and the entry way. It took them one day to do it and it looks great!! We did have one spot that the grouting came lose, the guy came back right away and fixed it. He told us that if it ever happens again to give him a call and he would fix it for nothing. That's what I call service, guess their are still a few good ones around.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:59 PM

I have had MOSTLY good contractors on projects we have done through the years but this job was truly something else!

It's kind of different here than anything I have ever seen. There is a CITY contractors license board. Never heardof that as is CA is was the State board!

I have terminated the job only slightly unfinished and negotiated a $200 discount. We have a friend who can fix the remaining issues.

There are oak transition strips that take it from the higher level of the hardwood down to the lower level of the vinyl and this company sure doesn't know how to do that!!! So a couple of new transitions and a bit of quarter round and it'll be done.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:00 PM

Hope things work out for you. I usually do stuff at home myself whenever possible. I am soooooooo glad to hear I am not the only one who loves Mike Holmes!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
Do you have a canal behind the house to hide the body?
Because, to be honest, I really spent about 6 months seriously contemplating "relocating" my contractor.

Now the only time I think that is every time I walk into my kitchen. :roll:

My sympathies. I totally empathize.
I seriously thought about relocating my husband!!!! My 4 girls would say that I would be THEE expert in remodeling, or lack of it, as our bathroom was pulled partially apart for over 17 years. Now, my husband has put on a 20x25' gorgeous family room with a round fireplace he did all alone, and other numerous gardening projects, but never finished the bathroom. There just seemed to be a mental block and trust me, I was ready to knock his block OFF!!! It was my greatest point of frustration until this Spring when we raided our pension plan to do it. I told him, "Loogit, we have this money building money but we have this ugly bathroom; I think it's about time we took out some of that money and finished the bathroom." He agreed and professionals did it in two days and it is beautiful. Thankfully it was upstairs so no one ever saw it but our kids but Bathfitters did a superb job and I am one happy camper.

I'm not sure many can beat that time-frame for a story, but I'll be watching.