Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what started your quilting obsession >

what started your quilting obsession

what started your quilting obsession

Old 05-11-2011, 10:58 AM

Five years ago, I severely broke my leg and ended up in a wheel chair for nearly a year. I was so bored. Someone brought me some magazines and a couple were quilting books. Thought to myself, maybe I can do this. Have been hooked ever since. My mind whirls with the number of quilts that I want to do. You can't ever have enough quilts.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:13 AM

i started sewing when i was 12...my mother had a box of scraps and made me a quilt from them when i went to college. i didn't get into quilting until i was married and wanted to do a quilt for my friend's baby....it took me all wk to just hand quilt it after i had pieced the tile block one.
my MIL quilted and my husband's aunt, then i got put on a quilting committee at my church....slowly, i did more and more.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:47 AM

My mother inspired me. I started sewing clothing, then crocheting, etc. My mother always made the most beautiful quilts and she asked me why I didn't try. I thought it would be too difficult for me. She helped me make my first string quilt, it was sewn on newspaper, 27 years ago. Still miss my Mother.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:45 PM
gus

My sister
Old 05-13-2011, 09:30 AM

I've sewed all my life but my love of quilting began sometime after my mother passed away I found some hand pieced blocks that she had hand pieced, so of course I had to find them a home. My first quilt was a lap quilt and totally hand done. I am now doing machine stitching. :):):)
Old 05-13-2011, 10:14 AM

Actually my quilting hobby started when I finished a cross stitch ring-bearer's pillow top and a needlepoint canvas about 3 years ago. I wanted to have them made into pillows, and it was so outrageously expensive that I made a vow that I would never pay to have someone finish a pillow for me ever again.

So off to the sewing machine store I went and the employee who demo'd the Janome 11000SE for me got me thinking quilts and embroidery and the rest is history.

My Grandmother was a seamstress in the men's clothing mills in Massachusetts during the war and she did slipcovers after that. I always remember her sewing, although she never did quilts. I just love the geometrics of quilts.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:53 AM

I have been quilting on and off since my grandmother taught me. It didn't become an "obsession" until I bought my longarm. Less than a year later, I opened a shop and am now so obsessed with everything quilting. Even now that I have closed the shop, I just can't seem to get enough! :)
Old 05-15-2011, 01:29 AM

I used to make clothes for my eldest daughter when she was little. then later made dolls clothes and 15years ago I saw some applique and decided to make some small quilts for my sewing room. The first big quilt was for my first GD of which I enlarges a Geisha pattern 400%. I still do that if I want something bigger otherwise I now stick to standard size applique and I enjoy doing it.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:04 AM

My obsession is really getting bad now because I read this board! I see all the quilts, books, fabrics, tools, new machines, sewing room set-ups and think I want that!
Old 05-16-2011, 01:15 PM

I started quilting at the age of 64. My DD was diagnosed with non hoskins lymphoma stage 3 and breast cancer stage 4. Lynn loved tie dye material and the color purple. So I bought the material in 5/6. She approved the colors and the design. Every time I went up to Bucks County to see here in the hospital I took it with me and I was hand sewing the top together. Well needless to say she did not see the finished quilt. I am getting it finished June and I will give it to her younger sister with love from Lynn. So far I've started place mats (almost done just have to bind) and 2 center pieces for the kitchen tables and a octogon center piece for my DIL.