Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Clover Mini iron >

Clover Mini iron

Clover Mini iron

Old 05-11-2011, 08:44 AM

I bought one and never used it. I have the travel Rowenta and the little blue and white long handled one from JoAnns. I also use a seam roller (wooden) if I am in a hurry.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 AM

I use mine for ironing over the edges onto the shiny side of freezer paper for hand applique. Just slit the fabric from the back & remove the paper. Slit doesn't show , batting fills it in or can be stuffed for more dimension. Happy quilting!!
Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 AM

I have one I think it is great for pressing seams I purchased it with a special tip for seams.

Chris A Male quilter
Old 05-11-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by eashka
I have had a clover mini iron for a long time and if they have not improved it then you don't need one. I have the one that is round shaped and has the little iron surface on the end. It gets quite hot and it will not set where you put it and I have gotten burned several times. I won't use it again and I would never give it or sell it to someone else. Plus, I like steam. Hope this helps.
Ditto, I had to set up a separate melt-proof container for it and keep a tiny spray bottle handy, but I did find it very good for small curves in applique and centres of 8 point stars, tho I bet others have better methods.... I really don't use it very often
Old 05-11-2011, 10:02 AM

I use mine for paper piecing and cutting templates for quilting. I use plastic template material so makes for easy marking of fabric. Mine has several tips that are used for different things. It does get very hot so I use a heavy jar or mug to hold it when not in use. That way it does not tip over and burn me or the pressing surface. It is very convenient when taking classes for pressing seams. I usually take a small spray bottle for water if I think the seams need steam to press flat.
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady
Do any of you on this board use the Clover mini iron for pressing seams when quilting? If so, how do you like it, pro's and con's. I got a Joann's gift certificate for Mother's Day and am thinking about buying one. Thanks!!

Blessings,
Old 05-11-2011, 10:29 AM

have one,like it for seams on doll clothes .
it is a little to hot for some fabrics.
I just wish it had steam.............guess can,t have everything........
char
Old 05-11-2011, 10:31 AM

I have with multiple attachment and have used them all. I applique and it works great to iron the turn. I does get very hot so be careful.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:33 AM

We have bought 2 varieties and given them to other sewers. Pros are the light reminding you its on, an easy click turn on off switch, a foldable stand etc. Cons are if you're notpaying attention it is easy to burn the cord. Over all I like it beter then the other brand(don't remeber the name. Would like to see some sort of guard against the hot wand end. Only started to do it once but reached for the wrong end- sort of like a curling iron. It also has a temp control to handle more delicate fabrics
Old 05-11-2011, 11:02 AM

I replaced the small iron surface with a larger attachmnet and use it for applique (freezer paper and starch) and it works well. I do not use it for pressing seams while I am piecing quilts.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by RkayD
I have one and don't use it much. It doesn't seem to get hot enough.
I have the same problem - but thought it would be great to get into tight corners; but not the case... sorry!