Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Little Specks of blood on my quilt. >

Little Specks of blood on my quilt.

Little Specks of blood on my quilt.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
Of course I didn't notice it at the time, but when I was looking at a quilt I'd made the other day, I noticed tiny little specks of blood on it from where I had obviously pricked my finger with the needle. Has that ever happened to any of you? and if so, did you try to wash it out or did you just leave it?
I was told the same thing when I took my first quilt class not sure if it works on dried blood though.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by tedytrser
Hi there I was a Childcare provider and have had blood on my clothes and have found that Hydrogen Peroxide takes the blood out. Not sure if it will harm the material. Have a great day.
I've used Hydrogen Peroxide many times, works great. Docter told me about.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:50 PM

I ditto the OXY thing....I love anything with OXY in the name. If it takes doggie poop out of berber carpet, it should take blood out of cotton.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:16 PM

you can use your own spit to get the blood out - spit on it and use a tissue or paper towel to blot it until blood gone
Old 05-11-2011, 04:38 PM

I have used cold water for removing blood stains that were set, but I keep Tide sticks at all my machines and quilting areas for just such instances - even remove oil from my longarm if I forget to wipe it up before starting to sew.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:49 PM

SHOUT it out even after its dry -spray the spots toss in wash If I nick myself I bleed like the preverbial stuck pig and none of my cloths have blood stains any more You should see me after sewing on buttons :|
Old 05-11-2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by gal288
As a hand appliquer, I am always jabbing myself and getting blood on my blocks.

I was told years ago that your own saliva will take out blood. It works, on new blood anyway, not sure on dried.

I usually immediately wet the spot with my saliva, and wash in cold water. Presto, the spot is gone.

Don't know if it will work for you, try wetting the spot with cold water, then your saliva, wait a couple of seconds and then wash again, repeat if you need to.

Hope it works, let us know for future reference.

Just a little word of warning here ... don't try and suck the blood out of your fabric if you've been eating chocolate (M&Ms)! It makes a real mess!

Ask me how I know this? LOL

Peggy
Old 05-11-2011, 05:04 PM

About 35 years ago my MIL went to the attic and showed me two old hand pieced twin size quilt tops in the Ohio Rose pattern that had been pieced but not quilted. She offered them to me because she knew that I was a quilter. I wanted to put them together and make a king sized quilt for our bed. When we opened them up to look at them I noticed brown stains on them that I thought might be rust. She said that the family story was that it was blood from a wounded Civil War soldier that they had hid in the attic. I didn't think it would ever come out.
I knew that my quilting wouldn't do justice to these beautiful works of art so I took them to a friend who could. She placed them in a bathtub with biz and soaked them for almost a week. When they were removed the blood stains were gone and the fabric looked as if it had been purchased the day before. She spliced the two together and did a beautiful job of quilting. We now have a real family heirloom to pass down to our family with a great story to go along with it. Unfortunately I never did find out which member of the family was responsible for the original hand piecing. Ann in Tn
Old 05-11-2011, 06:21 PM

Saliva does work, and on dried blood as well as fresh. Didn't notice on a pair of shorts until later. LOL! And it isn't gross at all--just spit on it and rub with an old toothbrush. Might take a couple of times, but it works!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:43 PM

Your own saliva does really work. If you don't like that idea.....try Orvus Soap. It is like a miracle worker and very gentle on the quilt.